is 5000 door hangers sufficient?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kentuckylawns, Jan 11, 2007.

1. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

I am planning to grow my business, i live in lexington, ky and there is a lot of competition in my area. I was wondering if you guys think 5000 door hangers will be enough to land me 40 new accounts. i currently have 3 and want to expand to more. My plan was to put out 5000 door hangers, and then 1 month later put a business card ad in a local paper that serves a small area of town. Please give me some advice

2. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

From what I've heard direct mailings get better response than door hangers. Also, have you considered the time required to do the door hangers?? I put out about 100 hangers last week and it took me over an hour. You could be talking a 50 hr week just to hand out some hangers :walking: :walking: :walking: :laugh:

3. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

I have thought of direct mailings, but what i understand is the cost is so much more than door hangers.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Marketing costs are never measured in initial investment terms, they are measured by ROI (return on investment) terms. First things first!

5. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

I am NOT speaking from experience, but from advice I've seen given several times on this very website. Most people suggest to expect a call from 1%-2% of door hangers or flyers that you hand deliver. Of that, about 75% will accept your bid. using those figures, You can expect 50-100 calls, and therefore 40-75 people actually sign on for your services. I'm a bit of a pessimist, so I would guess that 5000 door hangers would get you about just under 40 new customers. BUT...remember, I am quoting this only from other information I've seen, and will find out first hand how accurate those numbers around March when I start passing out my own 2500 door hangers.

6. Door hangers get results.
    Example: Just completed a paver walkway is past week (no snow). While working in the neighborhood, past'd out 25 door hangers while on lunch...7 new maintenance accounts (spring, fall, weekly mowing) & 2 bids on hardscaping. Good luck!

7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I don't know how broke you are jeez, pick up some guys from a day labour place, like 3-5 of them and get them all out in a couple days. You drive, they delivery.That's what I do.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

True, but one must still work within one's budget...I could run a 30 second ad during the Super Bowl and get 100,000 calls but wouldn't mean I could afford the ad initially :laugh:

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree...and if the budget only allows for 5000 door hangers, then the question is moot. Maybe the question should be, "My budget is ____ for marketing this quarter. Would 5000 door hangers be the best way to spend that budget?"

or "My goal is to ________ and my budget is _________. What is the most productive method to meet my goal?"

A question like this would get a different response.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yes I agree...the more thought out the question, the more useful the response will be.