Is $55 too much ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dannyboy20, May 8, 2007.

1. dannyboy20

dannyboy20 LawnSite Member

Starting out this year partime. One of my customers lawns took me 65 minutes to cut, bag, and trim and I am charging $55. Too hi, too low, or ok ?

2. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

It really depends on what kind of equipment you have (how much it COSTS you to mow it), but more importantly how large the yard was, how much trimming, etc. I'll have to say I know NOTHING about prices where you are, but here in Missouri, that would be a little low for me, especially if you are bagging and have to haul off the clippings.

3. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

If your equipment is paid for, that sounds good to me. If it's not then I would maybe charge more...sometimes the dollar/hour rule works well, depending on what you have and where you're at. I'd say between $55 and $65 is good, maybe an extra fee for taking clippings.

4. dannyboy20

Clippings are dumped on site. I was worried i was overcharging. It sounds as if im ok then.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

That sounds fine, about average not too low not to high. Did they say your expensive? Don't lower it. I'm in MA also.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

This advice from the guy that posted this: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=186531
    Just ignore Mr. $15!

7. dannyboy20

The Customer hasnt complained about the price. I was just making sure I wasnt screwing myself.

8. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

dannyboy, What type of mower are you cutting with? Try figure out how much fuel you burn a hour with all your equipment. How many miles from that job to the next one. You will learn as you go just keep going over the numbers.

9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Equipment being paid for has nothing to do with it.

#1 The equipment has to be purchased originally.

#2 The equipment will wear out and need to be replaced.

You have to figure your overhead, expenses, etc.....then add your desired rate.

10. dannyboy20

I have figured in equipment cost/hr, fuel cost/hr, and also my labor /hr. I'm pretty happy with my rate. Im also charging by time instead of sq. feet.