is $60 enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if it aint the heat, the bees, the cold, the dust, the deadbeat customers, it's the emotional cr@p too that i have to deal with. a lawncutting customer calls, he had trees growing over the fence into his nieghbors yards, they trimmed them, and threw the brush into his yard. he needs it halled off. i take it, 2 trailer loads. i get done, he comes out in a diaper, he's being treated for cancer. "here, is $60 enough? and there's an extra $10 for you guys." i felt terrible. i said, "i'm sorry leo, it's $200." he just looks at me. "i'll have to owe it to you." he says. i said," sure leo, $220 by next friday will be fine." god man, this is rough

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i see bobby has been watching soprano's and is collectin points now....

3. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

your a good man bobby

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

$200 for removing 2 trailer loads of branches?
    I want to work in your neighborhood.

5. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

To make, or enter into a job such as that without having some indication as to what it would cost- your mistake.

Suffer the emotional pain of having surprised your customer with a price he couldn't afford rather than the pity emotion you seem to be feeling-

I see this as a sign of poor business skills.

You do work often without getting a commitment on recompense?

I suggest you bill him the sixty he had and garner the good will. All the while telling yourself it was a cheap lesson.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How can you say that without knowing what size trailer he's taking about?
    How far is the dump from the customer? How much are dump fees?

Depending on the answers to those questions, $200 could actually be low.

But back to the topic at hand, bobby, why didn't you run the price by him first (at least an estimate)?.

I mean, I have customers that don't ask how much something will be, they just say do it. But they are longer term customers that are familiar with my pricing. How long has this guy been a customer? Sounds like he may be newer and not familiar with your pricing. Perhaps?

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

i was busting a bit on bob. relax.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby G , if you had one of these you could of loaded into the back of your Yugo and skipped the dump. Its a crummy picture but its back in the corner. 25hp chipper.[​IMG]

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

"Relax"?? Did you take my post as some sort of rant or dig on your post? Wasn't meant that way. Your post seemed sincere, and I was just being equally sincere.
    Sorry if you took it wrong.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

who's mistake? he demanded the work, not a price. it was like, "please get rid of the stuff, then tell me what i owe you." i actually kept the cost down for the old man, by picking it up in 3 trips. this way i got other stuff done in between, that required trips to the dump, so his bill actually got cheaper.