1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is 60 inch deck too much?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cranium2001, Mar 18, 2007.

1. cranium2001

cranium2001 LawnSite Member

First let me start off by saying what a wealth of information all of you members have supplied to me in your daily posts. It is priceless. Secondly, I am having a hard time deciding whether to go with a 60 inch Cub Tank M60 or the new Cub Enforcer 54. The dilemma is that I will be using this for mainly residential use but, the price and financing are phenomenal for the Tank. 4.99% for 48 months and a retail price of $6699.00 for a leftover 2006 model or 3.99% for 36 months for the Enforcer with a retail of $5299.00. Everything I have researched in here has pointed me towards the 60 inch Tank but I am concerned it may be too much. Although I do have a couple commercial accounts it would work great on, my bread and butter is residential. Any thoughts?
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We do 90% residental's and use 60's and one 72 " TANK. Go with the 60" TANK because the Enforcer is not going to last you very long. Hope this helps.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area 52 inch or less cuts em all,different properties dfferent deck sizes.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Def 60. I went with a 52 and wish I had a 60. I will now be buying 60's from now on.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

60" is almost like a general standard. It is just so common among all companies and manufacturers. Sure, there are many out there that use smaller decks, and there are even some places that a smaller deck is more practical...But on a general basis, a 60" goes SO many places, and yet is so much more productive than the smaller decks, it is no wonder why it is so commonly used. we run a few of them, and 52". Guess which ones get used more often?
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not sure if i remember this right, but my dealer sent me the brochure on the new cubs and although i think the enforcer was listed as a commercial machine, and i only saw the picture, it didint look as well built as the tank....

something else to consider.... good luck
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the 60" Tank you'll thank yourself in the long run
  8. cranium2001

cranium2001 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys this really helps.
  9. garrettlawn

garrettlawn LawnSite Member

we got two cub 60's and a cub enforcer 44 for backyards with single gates
  10. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

Go with the 60 I started out with a 48'' and the next year bought a 60'' I found that 60 gets it done faster and now I hardly use the 48 even on the small lawns but you can't get in most back single gates with a 60 or a 52 so I would go with the 60 you will be happer at the end of the day.