1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

is 72" too big?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snakasnee, Jan 4, 2006.

1. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

im looking at a used 72" exmark lazer z. my other mower would probably be a 36" viking w/b. im starting out mostly residential in nashville where there are pretty decent size yards. is the 72" gonna be too big for a rider. if so what size is best/ most common.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Jeez,a 72 is huge here there is 1 lco here that will run a z that size we stay with 52 inch or less we can us this size on all our accounts.
  3. Kubota130

Kubota130 LawnSite Member

The big problem with such a large deck on a mower is scalping on the little hills. Sometimes we find that even with the 48" deck it will dig into the clients lawn. Before you purchase a mower with a 72" deck look at you lawns and if it would be feasible to run such a large piece of equipment on it!

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Exactly. When I worked for the school system they sent out a large deck mower like that for us to try and it was great in large open areas where it was perfectly flat. We had large open areas, unfortunately little of it was flat enough to make the wide deck a good choice. We had been running a 60 inch Deere and stuck with that.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

YES, it's too big. 72" mowers are good for one thing and that is large open flat areas. Get a 52" or a 60"
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with the rest, maybe a 48''-60''
  7. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay with a 48" or 52". They are so compact and will mow your smaller yards, but when you need to hammer down on big properties they do that too. My 48" Scag Tiger Cub is awesome!
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I run a 72" just about any place a 60" will go. As far as hills go, just lock the front end in and you will have no ploblems sculping. Just have to know what your doing.:waving:
  9. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

you guys rock!!! i cant even calculate how much money you have already saved me... not to mention the headaches. thanks....
  10. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Lock the front end in? Can you explain?