1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is $7k a good price for a new super mini Z 52" with a 24 Hp Honda?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watercop, Jul 12, 2004.

1. watercop

watercop LawnSite Member

That is $1500 off list, which seems like a fair price.

Also it seems many here choose Kaw engines, but I have huge respect for Honda quality. Any downside to the Honda, other than a bit less torque? Any major difference in fuel burn?

I'm sorely tempted to buy in Delaware or NH to save $500 in sales tax, and then run for luck regarding service, but I realize that is probably a bad idea and I should support a local dealer...

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay the extra $$$ is all i can say.. I bought based on price alone and really shot myself in the foot.

3. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

That seems like a decent price. I bought the Super Mini Z 52 with a 25 Kawa and it was $7295. Great machine, I love it!
  4. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I think Hustler continued it's Spring incentive program through the end of July. That program is for $1,500 off of list price for the Super mini Z. So looks like they are giving you the incentive and nothing else. Some dealers are willing to bend while others are not. Call around and see what you can get - the market price in your area is the market price in your area.

With respect to dealer loyalty, I tried to buy from a local dealer in Delaware and had a horrible experience. They would not even come out from behind the counter to show me the mower so I took my money elsewhere and bought a full size Z in another state. I went to them for some filters, blades. etc. recently (which they seem to mark up) and received a hydro filter with the strange marks, almost as if a large pipe wrench had been put around it. The strange thing is that the filter was still in it's factory wrapper. I took it back and they advised me that they were going to replace it but that they did not sell it to me like that and that I must have put the wrench on it. Their comment was crazy because if you look at the filter you know that the only person with a pipe wrench that big is a pipe fitter and the Darn thing was still in the sealed wrapper. The wrapper was torn in a couple of spots.

The point is, the dealer is not good or bad because you bought the mower from them - the dealer is good because they take customer service seriously. If you ask some others in your area how that dealer is (how long for a repair, is there 50 mowers sitting there waiting to be fixed, do they have a good parts supply, do they give a loaner, etc.) you will get the straight answer before you buy the mower.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

couldnt have put it better myself

6. wolfman

wolfman LawnSite Member

I was qouted 6,700 for a new super mini with a 25 kawasaki - 24 honda would probably be 100 less according to Hustler price sheet
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto what wolf man said.. $7200 is no "deal" I was Quoted $6800 for the 25hp Kawi version as well, and I didn't even deal.
  8. watercop

watercop LawnSite Member

Thanks for the Heads-Up on the incentive - I looked that up and it is $1300 on all Mini Z models, so that means I'd be getting only an additional $200 off list - doesn't sound like all that good a deal...I will be calling around a bit more...
  9. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I think it is $1300 for the mini - Z but $1500 for the Super mini Z. Good luck!