Is $9/Hour a good start point?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Joe2920, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Joe2920

Joe2920 LawnSite Member

I just started this year.. I have a family member who helps me I give him 25% of what I make...Now that it is leave season I am looking to hire some help part time it seems to me that most people want 9-10 an hour but after doing the math I am not going end up making much on any leaf jobs. I was also considering hiring someone to work next season with my 25%'er while I pursued some other work part time but the numbers just don't add up..my lowest price lawn is $25 and most expensive is $45.. how do most of you vets in the biz afford haveing a crew out doing lawns..while you can somewhat relax or is this just a pipe dream..

2. Joe2920

Joe2920 LawnSite Member

Also next season I was considering going on the books.. what rates do you charge customers that afford you to have a crew out while you can sit back?

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

more people means more lawns means more money. i wouldn't touch a hard landscaping job for less than $10-12/hr. it's hard dirty, hot work, and you can make $8.50 in an airconditioned store.

charge well for leaves, make a $150 min.

4. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't touch a landscape job for less than $45 an hour.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

First of all, you shouldn't be paying anyone 25% of what you make. thats rediculous. $9 an hour is fine to start, just tell them you will give them a raise, when you see that they are doing a good job, and learn the way YOU do things. And that 25% guy get rid of him or pay him an hourly wage.

6. fortdan

fortdan LawnSite Member

What you need to do is figer out how much you want to make, I'd say at least $20.00/hr. I'll use weekly maintnece as an example. If you have a crew of 3 guys, each guy at $10.00/hr and they can do a house in 20 min at $25.00 per house, then after paying your workers you'd be making $45.00/hr.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, well the real big companies around here pay 6.75 - 7.50 / hour and if you pay more for new hires then you are not only wasting money but anybody who comes around with their pride on their shoulders acting like they can earn twice that with half the work should do so at once, should've never showed for the interview, and can continue to stand in the unemployment line.

It's the opposite song and dance of dealing with the customers who want something for nothing, I am well versed on this tune.
    They are NOT doing US a favor, it's the other way around (ok technically it's supposed to be a mutual handshake, but for this scenario...)

That's my take on things.

8. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

You accomplish this by charging what you SHOULD be charging.....more.

Too many people get into this business with an employee mentality and not a business owner mentality.

For example, most people think that if they are making $35 or $40 an hour they are living high on the hog. However, if you run this like a business you will be broke in a year or two because you will never be able to afford employees, insurance, replace your equipment and still make a good living.

They way you succeed is to charge a rate that will run a business not just pay you a wage.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i start them at 8 then give raises the lowest paid guy makes 9 with us now

10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay my two guys $8.00 and hour.