1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a 15 hp Kawi enough power ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by galusham, Mar 16, 2006.

1. galusham

galusham LawnSite Member

I've decided on the 48" metro hp instead of the 36" but am now wondering if the 15 HP Kawasaki engine is powerful enough for this deck. Anyone w/ a 48 inch Metro belt drive unit feel that it's underpowered, or will it be ok. I can't afford to upgrade to a bigger engine, but may consider getting the 36" deck instead if there is a horsepower issue w/ the 48.
  2. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Both my 48" and 36" buntons both run the same 15 hp kawasaki very good engines you should have no problem.
  3. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I don't have the machine that you are asking about, but I would like to say that in my opinion you need to keep in mind what you might use this for . I do commercial work and sometimes I find myself using a mower that I would not normally use for area space or what ever reason. If there is a chance that you may use it for tall grass then my opinion is ,no! The smaller deck and faster cutting speed is going to make you more efficient and the larger deck will bog down with the smaller engine. Good luck on your decision.
  4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i have a 13hp kawasaki on my 36'' gravely...the motor puts out power and those mowers are heavy
  5. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

you should be fine with the 15 hp
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Makes you wonder why, if so many guys are bugging eXmark, they continue to use the 15hp engine on 48" decks.

If I want 17 or more, I should be able to get it. Other manufacturers make 48's with more HP. Some are 23hp with 48" deck!
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I have two 48" Scag hydro WBs that are 17HP and sometimes I wish the one with the dedicated mulcher had more power in the springtime when thick, wet, heavy growth is basically unavoidable.

So I guess the answer is that it depends on what you are using it for..specifically what conditions you will be seeing.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would say that the 15hp kawasaki should be fine for most of the year. Just watch out in the spring when the grass is thick and wet. It may bog a bit...then again, it may not.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I will sell you mine!
    I've got the Metro HP 48" with the 15 HP. It will do ok even when pulling the velke. 17 is a better match and the 19 is great, but 15 will be OK. But the real issue you need to address is the belt. If you are interested in making money at this get a hydro. That is why mine is for sale. We don't use belts any more.
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

a 48"/15 kawi Metro? very fine...even with sulky, but why wasting money on belt walk? The productivity vs fatigue factor STINKS....it stinks like your sweat every time you run that Metro. just another fact to you from a lawn guy who run 36" metro for 2 years with lots of SWEAT but no more...:walking: :laugh: