Is a 19hp 52" Stander underpowered?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcat175, Jan 23, 2007.

1. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

...I was thinking that the 23hp the perfect fit...
    but wanted to know if anyone that owns a 52" 19hp Stander wishes they bought the 23hp.
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've spent quite a bit of time on 2 new Wright Standers that were bought in the summer of 2006 that have the 19hp Kawasaki on a 52" deck and it was surprising not very underpowered. I would still buy the extra power, but that 19hp Kawasaki isn't a bad choice. And this is coming from me who is someone that wants plenty of power in his mower.
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Depends which 19 it has...the FH601V or the FH580V.

I would say the FH601V would be good for just about anything you come across. The FH580V might be underpowered in some instances.

I think all current Wrights with 19's are the newer FH580V. And I know the Rapid Heights are because the big block kawasakis wont fit on them from what our distributor says.
  4. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

...but did you ever try a 23hp for comparison?
  5. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Toro ZTR with a 19Hp Kawasaki and it has all the power I want or need.
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

No I haven't. However, I feel like I have good judgement as to when a mower is underpowered and I feel like the 19hp Kawasaki is a surprisingly strong engine for a 52" deck. Yes, it lacks power in thick grass, but for the most part it's a solid engine that gets the job done. Now, would I buy the 19hp? No, I'd buy the 23hp for sure or maybe even the 25hp.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have never run that particular mower, but a 19 hp on a scag 48 ZTR was significantly underpowered. My scag Zcat 36" with the 19 hp is very powerful. I really Like the 19HP Kawi. It is very strong in the right application, but I agree with Jtkplc. Why risk it, for the extra couple of hundred dollars in cost of the machine and extra $.10-20 per hour in gas.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have a 52" Stander with the 23hp and the next one will have the 25 HP.....
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 16hp 50" and it does ok most of the time but does bog down in tall or wet grass but it will cut it if you slow down quit a bit.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think anyone argues that an underpowered mower won't cut the grass, the thing is time wasted is money wasted.

Say your average lawn takes 30 minutes
    say half of that is mow time (15 minutes)

by using an underpowered mower, say you are spending 20% longer than you should by mowing slower (probably more like 30-40%). That's 3 minutes. No big deal right?

If you do 15 yards daily 5 days per week you are now talking 225 minutes per week, or enough time to cut 4+ extra yards. Or generate at least $100 in extra revenue per week.

now over the course of a year, say 26 cuts. That is $2600 in missed revenue.

Or at a minimum it is about 100 extra hours on the mower per year
    at 1 gallon per hour gas consumption, that alone is over $225-300 in gas and 2 oil changes.

Again if 19HP works 90% of the time, then moving up to 27-35 HP is just stupid.
    but, if 19 HP is only enough 50% of the time then moving to 23 HP would probably be your 90% solution and in the long run be cheaper.