Is a 2,000 lb axled trailer enough for a 1200 lb mower?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Countrymow, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Countrymow

Countrymow LawnSite Member

It sure does seem to be a load, and I do not know what kind of force is put on it when it bounces going down the road.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How big is the trailer? If its a smaller trailer then it will be close but do-able.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

my guess is you have a 4x8 trailer maybe weighing 500lbs + 1200 + gear = 1800 lbs ish. that puts you right at the top end. I wouldn't do that as my daily tower. Its okay to max your trailer out every once in a while, but I wouldn't do it every day.
  4. Countrymow

The trailer is a lightweight 5x8. Metal mesh floor with drop down gate. I can pick it up and scoot it over in my drive when it is hooked to the truck.
  5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

is it a cary on trailer from tractor supply, is so, it only weighs about 350 lbs.
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

it should say on the sticker on the tounge what its capacity is, after the weight of the trailer is subtracted. Than add all the stuff up you have back there and see if your over, but as I said before, I wouldn't drive all day at 95% capacity, ideally you want to be 50-75%. Get better tires if its that much of a concern- doesn't help with the weight issue but does improve the chance of not having a blow-out.
  7. Countrymow

Thanks for the replies. It is not from Tractor Supply. I bought it from a trailer dealer in Fletcher, NC. I have not even checked for a sticker because I have only hauled a 4 wheeler on it. I will do that.
  8. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Get a 3k lb axle. Grease pin hubs. Dexter if available. Electric brakes if possible.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have a 7x12 enclosed trailer and the biggest problem we have had is the axle breaking loose from the frame. Bottom line get big axle if possible and be sure that the weld to the frame is strong. We have the torsion axle device. Solid axles are different but you don'thave much margin for a big bounce.
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

just make sure the tires are hard.