Is a 36" hydro easier on hands, wrists, and shoulders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Jul 12, 2005.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I already know the pros and cons of hydro vs belt mower, but I want to know if you think a 36" hydro machine is easier ergonomically on the joints in the arms than a 36" belt drive would be or is it relavtively similar? I think most stress on the joints is from pushing down to raise machine deck for whatever reason and from squeezing the brake levers to turn and stop so I'm not sure if it's too much different either way, but I'd like to hear what y'all think. thanks!

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

if You can Squeeze a Nerf Ball You can Make a Hydro to Do Anything But Serve You Lunch.

3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

There is more resistance on the TTHP hydro than on my Metro HP belt drive, and it is noticable. But being able to back up takes all that strain of me in tight spots needing to pull the belt drive back. So the trade off is more than worth it, and I can still run my hydro all day.

Kevin

4. lawnguyland

Thank you gentlemen!

5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Depend's on what kind of operating system, if you are using pistol grips or ECS. :)

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It depends on what control system you use, but for a 36", small deck less weight than 48" and 52" I would say it is not much of difference. I use both a 52" hydro ECS and a 36" belt pistol, totally different world, I can run 52" hydro ECS all day without crying, but certainly not with a 36" belt pistol which I cried baby for 2 seasons....:--
    It is very important to get a good comfortable control system if you use WB as your primary, cause down the road you will have internal and chronic injury on yours limbs. I would stay away from old-fashioned pistol no matter what.

7. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

A twin motor hydro makes a world of difference. I've got a belt drive 32" and it's a lot of effort to use. Weight wise there is very little difference between a 32" and a 36". I agree with MTR stay away from pistol grips. There are a lot of threads about guys with problems from pistol grips. The Toro T bar is a great system. There are other systems too ECS etc. depends on the manf. I've got a 32" Stander with the quad leaver and it's very easy to use but it's an expensive machine. Nobody wishes they had a belt drive after they have had a hydro drive but they do complain about the initial cost, but it's your body your wearing out and if you can be more productive with less effort, you can get more done and make more money. :)

8. lawnguyland

That's what I'm thinking.
    I DO LOVE my 36" john deere belt, and since it's so reliable I bought another, but I'm thinking of a 32" hydro stander. I'd get a Deere 36" but they don't have a hydro that size. 48" is too big for my little world of gated small yards, 36" is perfect, but a 32 or 36" stander might just do.
    What does that 32" stander cost? Is that in US dollars?

Reason for all this is that after all the hedge trimming the last few weeks my left hand is a little tingly sometimes (I'm wearing anti-vibe gloves, brace, etc). The more comfort the better.

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Deere belt walks with pistol is brutal, I don't how you bought another! Stander will blow deere walk in no time, you can pick up more accounts without getting killed with that belt pistol. I am in the gradual process of selling my eXmark Metro by the end of this season and get either Stander or Super Z. Good bye pistol. It is the beginning of syndrome regarding your hands, good luck and take care.