Is a 48" w/b overkill on some residential lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoachLinz, Jun 18, 2003.

1. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

The largest lot I cut is 1/3 of an acre. I don't plan on doing anything bigger as I have enough with what I have already and the neighborhoods I cut in are all 1/4 t o1/3 acre lots. I do this part time so I plan to stick to these neighborhoods as long as I have steady work from them like I have so far. Anyway, the 48" Bobcat I have just seems to be so big it is almost inefficient to use it. I end up having to push mow at least part of all but a few jobs and the maneuvering gets real tricky with the 48" because the lawns are small. Would I be better off (and more efficient) by selling the 48" and running a 32" or 36" instead? Those would be small enough that I might not have to push mow anything. I can't afford to keep the 48" and buy a 36". It has to be one or the other. The trim mower I use is a 22".

What do you guys think/recommend?

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I sit a belt or hydro? Assuming it's a belt, a 48" hydro would be a nice unoit for lawns tha size. If you do not already have a hydor, I would look into one, they maneuver a lot better than belts.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like a either a 32 or 36 would be a better choice for you. got any gated areas? measure them and see what'll be the best choice.

4. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some yards that have small living room size sections that I need to twirl around in with my 48". I found that most are still quicker with the 48. Gates are a problem and replaced with no gate lawns when needed.

Terrain is also a factor, not scalping undulating berms, or large roots can be a task.

If the mower is paid for, focus on your hourly productivity. Try timing yourself on the same lot with different mowers on different weeks?

5. CoachLinz

It is a belt drive not a hydro. Only a few have gates - 1 I can fit the 48 through, the rest are just big enough for a 36 if I had one so right now i have to pull out the 22" push mower.

Let's put it this way - I have at least 1 lawn that I can do the back yard (no gate but lots of landscaping) in the same time with a push mower as I can with the 48 because of the maneuvering necessary. Haven't tried that experiment on any others, but I have a few more that I bet will be the same way. I'll lose a little bit on the front lawn, but gain a lot on the back. I like the way this 48 cuts, but I think I'll be quicker with a 36" - maybe......

As far as scalping, etc goes - the only lawn have those issues with is my own. My front lawn is just a pain in the ..... and then my gate is only 36" for the back lawn.....

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I also considered a 36 at the start of this season to do the five or so lawns with gates. My laziness battled my tight fisted grip on cash and the tight grip on the cash won.

I'll mention another idea. A old forum member called twotoros use to mow with two 21" mowers at the same time? I recently picked up a freebie 21" and once I get off my lazy hiney and install a blade I plan to give it a trial run? So maybe in 2005?

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't believe this is an issue of hydro advantage over belt drive.

the issue is size of the yards and back yard gates.

coachlinz--I gotta ask why you have to use a push mower. I use a 48 on every cut I make regardless of size and I do very well with it. I only use a trimmer to make up the places that the 48 can't fit.

based on your discussion, I think you need to look at a 36".

GEO

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If it's a belt drive, get a hydro of the same size and you will not have to use the 21" at all. But if you are wanting ONE mower to do it ALL including in gates get a 32" hydro (eXmark Viking is nice :) )

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

oh BS BHB! I'll put my belt drive any where you can put a hydro except I aint backin' up any hills in reverse.

and I'd like to see you get that 48 hydro through a 36 in. gate.:eek:

GEO

10. CoachLinz

geogunn-
    I have to use a push mower on several properties due to gates and several places having too much landscaping around. In several of those cases there is not 48" between things, so obviously the 48" mower won't work - like between gardens, trees, large rocks, etc. - but it is too much area to simply trim. I do have a few where I just trim a little more and never touch the push mower.