1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a 4x4 necessary?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by spyderski, May 7, 2009.

1. spyderski

spyderski LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get a 10 or 12 ft trailer and was wondering if it was absolutely necessary I know it would be preferred but are a lot of you makin it by with just 2 wheel drive? Thank you
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

you don't need a 4x4 to pull a small trailer. 2wd will work just fine.
  3. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

2wd is fine for mowing. but in the winter it is always nice to know you have a sencond option when stuck in the snow.
  4. spyderski

The only snow we see here in NC is on tv so I'm not to worried about that. Thanks for your input. I've been so onesided on having a 4 x 4 now ca. Open up my options and spend a little less on a truck
  5. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

A t-case and a front axle usually add about $5k to the price of a new truck, so you'll save more than just a little, infact you'll save enough to go for a 14-16' trailer and a better ZTR.
  6. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

i just wanted one ,i put a plow on it so their .of course my ole man says all 4x4's are good for is to get you stuck worse further out ! over confidence :nono:
  7. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

haha. Your icon says your from NY so im guessing you moved. You definentally should be good with 2x4
  8. spyderski

yeah, guess i should update that. we just moved down.
  9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're just cutting grass a 2wd ought to be fine. I end up parking off road a lot, and it turns out to be mud often enough that I find 4x4 to be worthwhile. It can be expensive but so can walking 10 miles to civilization and hiring somebody to come pull you out, or d1cking around with pulling yourself out with your loader when you're alone, wasting all that time, possibly tearing up your truck... for my purposes, it is very useful. If you never or rarely leave the pavement, it is just a waste of money up front and more stuff to maintain and repair down the road.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

When it comes to srw P/U trucks I never buy 1 wheel peal because you can get stuck on anything even on wet pavement.

Myself I would buy the 4wheeldrive if its a dually 2wd is okay but been there done that with single rear wheel 2wd.