1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a 5hp push blower worth a darn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryPaulD, Nov 4, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Just wondered if they are worth buying? I have a 7001 backpack, but a push blower would be nice when the leaves really start rolling tall and wet, just wondered if a 5hp push would be beneficial? Thanks :)
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

5 hp makes for a nice boat anchor...8 is really the minimum for Fall clean-ups IMO.
  3. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

A 5hp is ok for postage stamp yards with minimal leaves but once they get wet or in a pile more than a foot high, you'll be blowing leaves in your face. 8Hp is definitely the route to go.
  4. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

little wonder makes some SHO 5 hp if i remember right. I would think that might help some. Other than that just a 5hp engine on a push won't do you much. My redmax 8000 is 4.6hp or 4.2hp I am not sure which and my shindaiwa eb630 is 3.9hp. Both of these have great power for leaves. I do have a push blower thats an older 8hp model. I don't use it much because with the 2 backpacks and my super z there is no need. My next invest will be a bagger for the rider. I know they are worth every cent but $2,000 is a lot to invest. Also waiting on the list is an out front aerator.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We bought a 9HP Billy Goat and never left the dealer lot with it, upgraded to a 13HP. The advertisement indicates that a the 13HP BG will be more productive than 2.5 Redmax units, so a 5HP must be about same as big redmax.
  6. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll wait on a push blower for somethin' a lil bigger or another pack.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea atleast an 8hp, 5hp is just as backpack you push. lol
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dude--listen not to those nay-sayers. 5 hp beats no hp everytime.

I have a 5 hp SNAPPER wheeled blower that could use a new sucker, I mean home. PM's accepted 24/7.

GEO :waving: