Is a 60" Lazer too big

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rockstate, Feb 9, 2005.

1. rockstate

rockstate LawnSite Member

Right now I'm running a 48" TTHP and i need an additional mower preferably something from the lazer family I'm leaning towards the 52/23 LazerHP but am also considering a 60/27 lazer. Is the 60 too big for most average to large size residentials? Is it too heavy? What are your opinions? BTW I dont have many tight spots on my accounts either.

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I think large size residential is an open ended class. How many sq ft are you talking about?

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

60" is never too big! Seriously, how much more cutting do you get with a 52" over a 48". If the 48" seems to small, and you think you can get a machine that is 12" wider through the bulk of your properties, go 60". The price difference for a 60" over a 52" is not significant. If you want more productiviity go 60", and you will get better hillside stability, and likely more trim side on your mower to boot.

Good luck

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do all residential, from postage stamps to 2+ acres of lawn. I have been tempted over the years to get a 60", but there are just too many situations where it is too wide or heavy for the job. Undulations in terrain that are severe can cause cut quality probs on some types of turf. Gates of course are another problem. I have a handful of places my 48" squeezes through that a bigger deck wouldn't.

You lose some productivity with a smaller deck but you have to balance against what you lose if you have to park the 60" and pull out a small wb to do a job it is too large for.

The extra weight of the bigger class mowers can add 300-400 lbs to your trailer load. Be sure you have trailer brakes and a strong tow vehicle if you add equipment weight.

The weight of the mower may affect turf damage too, even with the wider tires spreading the weight around. You'd have to talk to users who do high quality turf in difficult situations, NOT just guys who mow ballfields and such. They will always be pro big deck.

5. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

I believe the 27/60 is less than 100lbs. heavier than the 23/52 hp. Go for the 60, it has the deeper deck also.

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Go for the 60'' deck,simply because if you have a 48'' and you go to a 52'' you are only gaining 4''.In my opinion that would not be worth the money to buy a mower.Go 60'' are you will regret it.I know I was in your situwation,had 48'' wb..purchased a 60'' with a 25 KA Hustler SUPER Z..best thing I'v ever done besides getting married! :waving:

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha, I'm starting to think I should get a 60" now and use the 48" lazer hp on the smaller props with a 21" for the really small stuff. Anything those won't do I can do without.

The 60" mowers seem to be about 1050-1200 lbs.

8. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

get the 60,i had same thoughts and almost bought 52,now i there are days i wish my 60 was 125 instead of 60.

9. Huddleston Grounds Inc.

Huddleston Grounds Inc. LawnSite Member

I operate 2 - 52" and 2- 61" zero turn Grasshopper mowers and it all depends on the application. But in all honesty your only talking about 9" and is that really going to increase productivity. I have found that on smaller residential lawns the larger deck requires more weed eating because it is to large to get into some areas. And in turn increases your service time on that job. Another thing to consider is that even though the decks have anti - scalp wheels the larger decks are more likely to scalp on certian yards with small dips and ditches. But in defence of the larger decks, in open areas such as large church grounds, Industrial parks and recreations feilds, they are a great time saver and make very nice strips.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Define "average to large size residentials"...

I discovered last year that the 60" was too small for around here because the average lawn is 1-2 acres.