is a 60" Lesco Z any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yarden Of Eden, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Yarden Of Eden

Yarden Of Eden LawnSite Member

I am about to buy one but don't know much about them... I am a Toro and Exmark guy. But this is a really good deal I don't think I can pass up unless there are major issues with these machines. Its a 2001 with about 500 hours on it, with the lesco version of an ultra vac with new engine. Any input is appreciated
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The one we have is a 2004, so i don't know if they are any different but has been good to us. It is a Z2 25hp kaw. and 60 inch cut and has about 1700 hrs on it. It is our back up mower now as one of the hydro pumps is getting week witch makes the steering feel strange when we use it but it still works. I would not have a problem with buying one again. Hope this helps.

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I've had three. Only issue I have with them is the 20 bucks a blade other than that no issues. I'm actually happier with it than my toro z400

4. Yarden Of Eden

Well that's good to know. I only have about 6 hours per week of mowing right now so I'm not really going through a whole lot of blades. I'll be happy to pay $20 a blade if a few of my big commercial bids go through! I'm getting sick of being just underbid!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

On another note the bolt is 1 1/8 compared to the 15/16 you find on other mowers so now I have to carry more wrenches. Also, the pivot front axle makes for a nicer ride but will get you hung up on curbs if you go over with one front tire and scalp the crap out of the yard. A fixed front axle won't do that but is a rougher ride; however, you can always put the pins in to make it a solid axle if need be.

6. Yarden Of Eden

That's another good piece of info. Thank you
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Ztwo = garbage
    Viper is even worse.

8. Yarden Of Eden

Why do you say that? Have you owned them? Or just something you've heard? I wanna gather all the facts
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Yarden Of Eden

I also would like to know if you say they suck because they cut poorly, or if it is the reliability
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Incorrect, the z-two would be a fine choice. The viper on the other hand is a totally different story. If it's an 01' you are dealing with the Viper.........steer clear.