Is a 61" Wb too big?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Alluring Lawns, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

I know this is a realitive question, but I have a 36" wb, and am looking to get a larger one to handle more Sq. ft. I was thinking of getting a 52", but I have a chance to buy an Encore hydro 61" for a good price, but I've read on here they are more prone to scalping. Any opinions would be greatly apperciated.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I had a 61" Stander that was underpowered......and traded it for a 52". I had no scalping problems with the 61"...

The 52" is more versatile than the 61"....IMO......

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at getting a 60" walk behind. I have a 52 now and two 60 ztrs. I would look at at least a 23hp engine and floating deck. Other wise I wouldn't bother with a 60" walkbehind

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree with that.

5. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

Yeah, I kinda thought the 52" was the way to go, same engine size as the 61", so I guess I should go for the power, plus I'm currently doing 1acre+ lawn with a 36" wb so even 16 inches more would be a blessing. thanks.

6. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

if its flat and wide open you might be fine with a 61" fixed deck. Get a sulky for sure though.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My 61" had a 23hp Kawi.......and it just didn't disperse clippings at all......partially due to deck design I think too.......

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a 52" wb for a few years and its done the job for me. My ZTR's are 61" and I only use them when i do my larger jobs

9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you would want an encore.

10. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I think a 61" is too big in my opinion. I would rather have a zero turn with a
    60", but if you can get a good deal on the encore, go for it, because I know nothing about encore mowers, never owned one. At my dad's work has a 60" Prowler to mow the property and the cut is very bad.