Is a backpack blower necessary?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MrC, Nov 19, 2006.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I've been going back and forth between getting a great handheld or a entry level commercial backpack($300). I don't know if my situation is a want or need. I have a pretty small yard (2500 sq ft) but LOTS of leaves and acorns. I know the blowers won't do much with the acorns in the lawn but if it could help with the driveway and sidewalk I would be happy. I can avg 5-8 32 gallon trashbags of acorns a year. Once I blow the yard of acorns or leaves the next day it looks like I didn't even touch it.

My craftsman died and thought about getting the Echo 403from HD for $299. After a lot of reading I'm finding that many handhelds are almost as powerful but a lot cheaper. Also many have said that backpacks can't really get into tight spots. Since I'm buying a commerical product I want to buy something that will suit my needs now and the future. I thought I was going to get the Redmax HBZ2600 until I saw a lawn crew blow my neighbors lawn effortlessly and in under 10 minutes (all I saw was a red backpack). Will a handheld be close to a entry level backpack? Thanks!!!

2. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I purchased a handheld this year for tight spots, I already have two backpacks, overall i'm not overly inpressed with the hand held, besides if you have a lot to blow your arm will get tired hanging on to the handheld. Just my thought.

3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

A backpack is more comfortable. but why not get the best a stihl. you are at 300 look at the BR500.

4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Backpack is necessary for any commercial guy. I had a hand held blower when I started but now I have a backpack. Backpacks are more comfortable in longer periods of use and have much more power.

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

A back pack blower will let you do any job faster and easier. Period. Anybody that says a handheld is just as good or better than a BP has never used one or is too cheap to cough up the dough to buy one. A BP is too big to use in tight places????? What type of thinking is this?? With a BP there are not any tight places. It blows the debris out of tight places. An Echo 403 from Home Depot will be better than a handheld but it is on the bottom of the totem pole. It is strictly a home owner version. Go to a professional store and ask them what they would recommend that you buy from their brands. You will not regret it.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I would agree. Before I got into the biz I was a cheap skate. I didn't realize how much time I wasted buy not getting a decent machine. Spend the money and it will last you the rest of your life if you aren't using it commercially. It will save you money down the road. Not only that if you look at ebay at used blowers you are actually only paying for 2/3-3/4 of the machine any ways.

7. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Ok, so what's a decent BP for about $350. Anyone order online? I've read that some dealers don't care to take care of you as much if you don't buy from them. However, because this is for home use I'm hoping that I'm not going to be needing to deal with a dealer anytime soon.

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl Br series. Redmax, Shindawia, Husqvarna makes one but I think you can get a stihl that is more powerful for the price. Echo is ok. Find what your dealer has and test it out. I would try to stay away from the box stores like Home Depot and Lowes because if you need it fixed it will take weeks if not months. Most likely it wont need fixed but you never know.

9. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I had mentioned the RedMax 7001 when you were thinking only of hand-held blowers, and I said it was about $400. I was off a little. This site

http://www.wisesales.com/RedmaxBlowers.html

has it for $420, but that includes shipping charges. But if you want something less expensive, the RedMax EB4401 is $296, and that seems to fit into your budget. When comparing the various blowers, don't look only at the MPH figures, because air volume (CFM) is also an important parameter. Some of the hand-held blowers can provide high MPH values but not high CFM.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Obviously a backpack blower will be more comfortable and more powerful but also much more expensive, for a homeowner I recommend getting a stihl bg85 that is stihls top of the line handheld blower and can be had for a very reasonable price ~~150$$