Is a BID a Contract?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RLS2005, Oct 20, 2005.

1. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

When you place a bid on cutting a development and they accept it, can you turn it down? I guess the scenario would be, if I put out 3 Bids at the same time, and only have time for maybe one or two of those Developments, and all 3 accept, Can I turn down one of them or am I bound to doing them by law?

I am just starting to do bids for developments and I do not know if I should only bid exactly what I have time for, or do all the ones offered to me and then wait to see which ones if any I get? Thanks for any info.

Ron

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

A bid is not a contract.But if you submit a bid you had better be able to back it up with work.If you submit 3 bids,you need to have crew enough to handle the 3 jobs you bid.You are not bound by a bid,but it makes you look pretty unprofessional and stupid to refuse work that you have won in a bid.You won't be taken seriously for very long.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

And the price you quoted in the bid you submitted,
    your ARE bound to that,should you win the bid

4. RLS2005

RLS2005 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info...it is much appreciated.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

IF you win all three bids; you are leaving money on the table, or you have one hell of a reputation.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

A bid can only be with drawn under special circunstances sometimes. You need to check your bids and check your laws. Government bids cannot be withdrawn 30 prior to opening. Many private agencies IE. HOA are starting to use this formula.