Is a floating deck worth the price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zinkjo, Mar 4, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for 36" & 48" inch walk behinds. I'm sold on the hydro drive, but not sure if I need the floating deck.

Any opinions?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

you sure don't need it on a 36" but a 48",it would definitely have advantages.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If you are mowing flat small town lots then a fixed deck may be ok, but if you are mowing undeveloped '' country lots'' where they just sowed grass on the ground and didnt level anything out then the floating deck is better. I prefer the floating deck because it will work with either terrain and the floating deck can be adjusted fast by moving 4 pins as where the fixed deck you will proably have to add or remove washer from the blades to change height

4. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

do you need to adjust cutting heights very often?

if the answer is yes, you wan't a floating deck

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Ditto, you will hate yourself for not getting a floating deck if this is the case.

6. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Gravely 36in fixed deck is simple to adjust you just pull out a spring loaded pin on side of deck and put it at the height you need kinda hard to explain but i can set it to whatever i need in 20 seconds. Their floating decks are diffrent though.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the floating deck and only buy a unit that has anti-scalp rollers....go for the 36" Scag Hydro, I don't think there is a more reliable machine in the business!

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Agreed, nothing worse than hearing Matt complain when he has to change the height on the 36 inch fixed.

9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a shame how much some companies want to charge for a floating deck these days. To be honest I think its robbery. But yes it is worth it to have.