1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a heavier blade slower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green-Pro, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use the Mamba Hi-Lift blades from J-Thomas? I used two sets of them on my Scag 52" TT 23 LC Kaw and on my Scag 48" TC 19 Kaw and just have not been impressed with the quality of cut as compared to the standard blades. I have an Oregon blade grinder so the blades have been getting a good consistent edge on them, therefore I don't think lack of quality is due to that.

This got me wondering about the blade weight, this may sound ridiculous but does anyone think the difference in blade weight ( .250 vs. .204 ) could have anything to do with quality of cut? As in is it possible to affect the spindle/blade RPM's enough to be noticeable? Has anyone else using these noticed this? I know sounds nuts, but this is bugging me :angry: I have fixed it in so far as to go back to the standard blade, but its like a dang puzzle I can't drop, why the lack of cut with the high dollar blades??? Dang!!

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Problem definitely not weight. They may take a tad longer to spin up or slow down, that's it.

You want the .250 blade. I stopped buying .204" blades for our 72" Gravely because they got bent on the smallest incidents. (Probably not a big issue on a 52" machine, though).

Found a comany in Indianna with good aftermarket blades .250" for the 72" mower, no probs.

The issue is probably the lift of the blade, may conflict with your deck design. Are the blades any wider than stock? I tried wider blades on the same 72" mower and they had big time problems...poor discharge, etc, had to discontinue.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Your standard blades were probably regular high lift blades. I don't think the Mamba's have as much lift so they don't cut as smooth. I used the High lift gators and they were great for leaves and rough lawns but not as even a cut as the standard high lifts. Save them till fall clean up. I run my gators alot and side discharged. They really spread the clipping out. In the fall a few passes over leaves and they turned to dust but never had the smooth cut of the original high lifts.
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats kind of what I figured but the cut being left is less than desirable, so far no complaints but I notice it and that bugs me. As far as blades getting bent I had a guy "nick" a manhole cover at a prop, bent the s%#& out of a Mamba Hi-Lift not sure how he got away with not bending the spindle bolt got lucky I guess. On the wider issue they don't appear to be any wider, at any rate going with the standards I save a few bucks, especially when ordering in bulk.

Thanks for the input :waving:

I wondered about the type of lawn as well (rough looking turf vs. well maintained) I figured I'd save them for the fall & see how they preform on leaves. I didn't use them in early spring when the grass is so thick and lush so figure I'll maybe try that next year as well.

Thanks guys