Is a part time Fert & Squirt Biz worth it?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Dave Maher, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Dave Maher

Dave Maher LawnSite Member

I have been working for a company for the past 3 years doing applications. I have my NJ Core, Cat 3a,b,c License. I just got hired by a local town Full Time working in the Public Works Dept. I am considering opening a fert & squirt business because my workday now ends at 3:30 pm. I'm just looking for some ideas to spend the rest of my day. What do you think?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I would start out mowing first and as you get accounts you can add that later. This method worked great for me, now all of my cut accounts are Fert and Squirt as well. The profit margin would be greater by buying a used COMM. Mower ( there are always good deals in the news paper classifides) as opposed to Very pricey fert and pesticides. If you get Mow accounts the other WILL follow. Good Luck

PS. If you do advertise, advertise both when you do get accounts let the cust know immediately to get the jump on Tru Burn, Scotts for next season. Chances are most people are probably locked in to those companies already.

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i would go with the fertilizing for a few reasons

1. mowing is a very competitive market with a ton of low ballers
    2. people that fert/squert need to buy chemicals = more level playing field
    3. having somebody do fert apps while you mow.. they want green and dump a ton of N on the property and you get stuck cutting it!
    4. mowing needs to be done weekly, so if you get a rain day, guess who's working sat and sun... you! fert can be done whenever.
    5. then start mowing if thats what you realy want.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

6 of 1 - 1/2 a dozen of another.The 2 will coincide eventually.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would definitely do the fert., as well. the only thing with doing it part time, is that he insurance and licensing costs just as much a if it does if you do 400 accounts. There is a threshold there, that with too few accounts, it isn't even worth it, because it just doesn't cover the expenses. If ou did your routing completely right, you may be able to come in with between 50 and 100 accounts. It is at the high end of this figure that you start reaching the beak even mark when you consider all your marketing, administrative, equipment, material, maintenance and tax costs.

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

heres another idea

when you get out of work at 3:30...go to the beach, spend more time with family, read a good book, join a softball team, take a nap

(actually i do understand the need for a second income, i've been there and have done that....good luck)

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Thats how I started out. I built up a customer base between my J.O.B. and home, then I sprayed about 10 lawns on my way home from work everyday. after a few years I was making as much $ every afternoon as I did working all week at my J.O.B.

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. Sprayed on the side 9 years while a golf course superintendent "by day." I, too would lean towards the application side, for the same reasons Teeca said. You can be a lot more flexible. Good luck!

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I'd go the application route over mowing. Part time mowing guys are a dime a dozen. More money in apps. you already have the licenses, might as well make them pay.

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Applications are the way to go if you are part time. You can get in and out quicker and there is less overhead as far as equipment.
    That is how I started out with my biz.

But then again go with the mowing so I don't create competetion for myself in Bergen:hammerhead: