Is a PDA worth it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PRECISION LC, Mar 26, 2002.

1. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

Is a PDA worth it? What do you use it for, and what and how much are programs for it that you use?

2. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Handspring PDA and love it. The 2001 season was my first with it and life was much easier. I thought that the Handspring was better than the palm pilot because you can add memory and it has a port for other modules (cell phone, digital camera, mp3 player...) Check them out at www.handspring.com They now have refurbished ones at a good price.

3. JUST bought a cassiopea e-200. Have not used it yet but I plan to take it with me when I leave the office. Less bulky than the laptop yet it has the same contact manager and scheduling software as the laptop......easily synched with each other....Ihope

4. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

I got a palm for Christmas, and I love it. I only use it as a date book but it beats the daytimers hands down. The only thing that I wish was that it was rechargable so I could just drop it in the cradle every night like the cell phone. Mine got left in the truck one night and the batteries drained from the cold. I lost all my data and hadn't sync'ed it in a couple of weeks. I am glad that it happened in February and not May, it could have been a tougher lesson than it turned out to be.

5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Also had a Handspring and loved it, until I dropped it and the display chattered. So I haven't used one since. But then I saw a little keyboard for these things that folded up. So now I'm considering buying a new one and adding the keyboard.

6. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes LawnSite Member

Mykster,

When you do get a new one, invest in one of those cases that the pda stays permanently mounted in...........that way, if you drop it, it lessens the likelihood that it will break.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm told that the actual Palm people are good about replacement, maybe even one free. Fast turn around.

I asked a bunch of friends and relatives about these recently and all had Palms, no other brand. Palm also licenses the Palm OS technology to others and there fore alwasy is at the head of the class.

8. the palm operating system is great except in order to synch it with the microsoft products, it can be a pain in the ass.

9. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I own a Palm IIIc which is color. It has rechargable batteries. I love it! It helps with everything from personal life to business life, and everything in between. My wife and I liked it so well we bought her one, then gave it to an employee, and bought her a new color one also. By the way my brother-in-law has a handspring and he said the support sucks. Also I have tons of info in my palm pilot and have never needed any more space.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a em500 casio my son dropped it as i was backing the stang out of the garage and it still works great i wrote an excel prog to keep track of job data it adds the time and services of each stop i make i just enter time in time out and check of what i did and set up an end page to give me a yearly total great for comparing jobs