Is a Quick36 Easier To Steer Than a "Dual Hydro" Walkbehind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Katie_A_C, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Katie_A_C

Katie_A_C LawnSite Member

I have been mostly reading threads and trying to learn over the winter but every now and then I have a question.

I think I will add a 36" mower this year also. There is a new subdivision development where many of my dad's friends from the golf course live and all the houses have small gates. My dad has been getting me jobs there over the winter.

My Toro dealer told me to get a "dual hydro" walkbehind because it would be the easiest to operate but then I read this.

The "dual hydro" Toro Walkbehind is more expensive than the Quick36" so now I wonder if I really need to spend the extra money if the Quick36 handles better anyway. :dizzy:

I really want the easiest handling walkbehind because it looks like I will have allot of work this summer. :walking:

Thanks for reading all this.:)

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

You really want a Quick 36 its very light compared to other WB's and even though its only a single hydro, you will never know the difference. The people at Better Outdoor Products are second to none and provide the best customer service in the biz...Try to call Toro and get the company president on the phone.....

3. Katie_A_C

So it really is easier to steer than a "dual hydro" walkbehind?

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

With a dual hydro having a wheel motor and drive control lever for each drive wheel, I don't see how a single-hydro can possibly be easier to turn than a dual. You're using your body to turn it.

That being said, a 36" is a small and relatively light mower, and I doubt it would be difficult to turn at all. But not as easy as a dual hydro.

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

With a WB this light you will never notice the difference and the cost savings alone will make it worth while ..Call Gary at BOP and see if he can find someone close by that you can demo one....just an idea but one that may make up your mind for you ...watch the videos on their website as well.

6. Katie_A_C

ok, I am actually not worried about the cost saving because my dad agreed to buy me a walkbehind after I proved to him how much business I will have this summer.

I am most worried about having the easiest to steer walkbehind because I will have to try and do 20 of these small lots in a single day, twice a week.:weightlifter:

7. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

I have the Ferris Single Drive 32". It's Ok to turn, but definitely not as easy as a dual. The single can definitely be a PITA sometimes

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

Katie , It's probably going to come down to personel choice....you need to test a few ....I would look at all options a decide what feels right to you ..That said my choice is still the Q36 ..its super light and easy to turn IMHO. Good Luck and keep asking questions on here ...tons of great people with great advice

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with a dual motor (true commercial) unit. As your business grows, you'll be glad you did. The dual units are stronger and have a solid reverse. If you ever plan to add a velke or simular, this will be important.

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

You also have to realize this is a mail-order machine with no local dealer or dealer support for service and parts.