Is a rainbird 15H a 15' radius or a 7'5" radius?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by instyle, Sep 8, 2007.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

If i had a strip of 15H's, is there a head every 15'?
    If yes...does that mean it will spray a half circle 30' wide by 15 deep? (or 15' in all directions)
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

::backs out of thread::

15 h=sprays 15 feet..

15 full=sprays 15 feet on each side of head.
  3. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

so i would put a 15H every 15' along a long boulavard edge?
  4. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

depends... pressure?
  5. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, that is the idea in ideal conditions.

For example, if the strip is 15' wide by 150' long you would put 11 heads in each side of the strip for a total of 22 heads.

In most cases, I space 15' sprays between 14' to 12' to make up for less than ideal conditions, such as wind, pressure variation, etc.

For spaces over 14' I usually switch to MP Rotators, as they provide cost and performance advantages.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well, depends on the maker of the nozzle. Check with the product spec to see what spacing the manufacturer suggests. its different for quite a few nozzles. So you have to have head to head coverage, and some you dont.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

When a manufacturer refers to a "15 foot spray" they're stating the radius the water will be delivered under optimum PSI conditions in their testing facilities which are indoors and not subject to wind. If a spray head's optimum PSI is, say, 40 PSI and it delivers water 15' at that PSI... if you increase the PSI to, say, 45 PSI it might throw 16'.

Sprinkler "arc" is the pattern that the water will be distributed from the nozzle... i.e. 90/180/270/360 degrees.

Where you run into trouble with spray pop-up nozzles is when the PSI far exceeds the recommended PSI range the manufacturer has set for its nozzles since the nozzles will then start fogging and you'll never get the radius you want. If your pressure is very high then you need to correct this by using pressure regulated sprinkler bodies, valve pressure regulators, valve flow control throttling, etc. to keep the sprinklers spraying and not misting.