Is a Ram 1500 ok?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pfeiff, Jan 31, 2005.

1. pfeiff

pfeiff LawnSite Member

I'm am looking to buy a truck and was wondering if a Dodge Ram 1500 v8 4x4 will be good enough for what I am doing. I pull a 5x8 trailer with a ztr on it and in the winter I want to plow 10-20 driveways. Is a 1500 ok? thanks

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I use one...2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab w/5.9L motor. I Pull my 20' enclosed with a Walker MTGHS, Great Dane Stander, Bunton 52" w/b and a 21"'er, and all of the associated tools. I live in N.E., with all the hills. Auto. Transmission, and the truck has 70K miles. I have not had a single problem involved with pulling the trailer. Then in the winter, I vacation in Florida, pulling a 12' enclosed both ways. Treat it right and it will do the same.

3. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Treat it right and it will go a long way!!!

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

For towing you'd be ok, but for plowing a 1/2 ton is too light IMO. The suspension, axles, frames, etc, can't take the abuse of plowing like a 3/4 or 1 ton can.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I have a Dodge 1500 4x4 auto with a 360 and its a great truck. I'm sure one would work just fine for you pulling your trailer but may be too light for plowing like someone else said earlier.

6. EMackIV

EMackIV LawnSite Member

I think a 1500 would be ok to do driveways (make sure your front suspension can handle the load) but for anything else I would agree with most people saying it would be a bit small.