1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a rusting deck normal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Dec 14, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have some small spots on the deck that are starting to rust. The location is the topside of the deck near a few welds and behind the center anti-scalp rollers. I'm not talking about rust from hitting the deck's sides against things (thats normal wear) but rather the finish bubbling and chipping off exposing rust.

I store the mower inside and always in my enclosed trailer. I flush the damp grass clippings out from underneath the mower at the end of each weak and wipe the mower down as well.

Is this to be a concern? I have seen a few that have rusted out in under five years and have gaping holes in the top of the deck, due to total neglect. I want my stuff to last. For now I will just prime spots and use touch up paint.
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

This is normal any where you have bare metal and moisture. I would jus tpaint it if your worried about it, but it really shouldn't be that big of a problem if you keep you machines out of the weather.
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if I would classify this as normal, but any time bare metal is exposed it will rust. Was the mower ever repainted? This is about the only other thing I can think of. If all the rust wasnt removed before painting, or primer wasnt used the paint wont stick and the rust problem will be back. The best thing you can do is sand down all the rust, treat it with a rust treatment, prime, then paint. All it takes is a pin hole sized bare spot and the rust will start and spread.
  4. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I'm not talking about bare metal rusting here, from scratches or me running into things. I'm getting rust under the finish, and its an 05'. The paint is bubbling and then chipping off.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Then NO it shouldn't be as long as it has not run in to something that would have peeled the paint. What brand is it?
  6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had the same thing happen on my lazer belt guards, i sanded them down and sprayed then with some bed liner in a can from auto-zone --no more problems
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

South Florida
    I see the same thing that you are talking about on Scag units every place where there is a weld. Our units are never washed and we keep them inside. I think this is a problem from welding and they didn't get the proper kind of primer. If these spots are not taken care of I believe they will go all the way through and there will be failures. I am gong to take this up with the regional technical guy since I see it across many different models of their units. Thanks for reminding me!! Oh, I put primer on mine and that seems to work.
  8. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I guess right now its just a cosmetic issue, just don't want it to become a structural problem in a few years. I might break down and have my buddy Rhino line the whole deck.

ed2hess good luck on the scag.
  9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Hey! rhino lining the whole deck? thats an idea right there.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. This is the thing I don't like about power coating paint. It happened on my Exmark. Once you get the smallest little chip or crack the entire paint "covering" seems to want to peel off.