Is a skid loader worth it?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Trucklover, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Trucklover

Trucklover LawnSite Member
    from MD

Ive been thinking about buying a skid loader and doing some skid loader services but is it worth it?

2. josh_smith

josh_smith LawnSite Member

The value in a skid loader directly relates to the scope of work you are performing. If your typical job is small, it may not be beneficial. You must also calculate the price to fix any damaged areas by the machine if it's a renovation job.

However, they not only save time, but they save the backs of your guys and that increases productivity. I hope this helps.

3. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage LawnSite Member

A skid steer isn;t really something you just pick up on the side... I would say unless your going to be really pushing it and maybe going bigger installs best to wait on the purchase.

Go ahead and start offering services and then just rent machines for them. This will give you both a chance to see what size and type of machine is going to work best for you and if it doesn't pan out your not stuck with skid steer

4. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 LawnSite Senior Member

When I went full time I picked up mine, Its paid for itself at least 3 maybe 4 times over.

Makes a lot of things much easier, Advertise for bobcat services, put a few of the obvious things on there and what you wanna do with it, the work will come.

Just today I spent 4 hours on a farm, cleaned out a cow barn and then pushed over a few piles of dirt with wood debris mixed in them, Never thought Id get a call to push/scoop poop! But everyone you know will need something done, and wont wanna pay or since your not using it sunday and its just gonna sit on the trailer couldnt you just let them use it.

I didn't buy a new shiny toy, I bought a 1990 743 with around 1900 hours including trailer and paid cash, I wouldn't suggest taking on a loan unless the machine will make atleast double the payment in the payment period, If you got the funds go for it.

5. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

mine get used primarily during the winter on some big accounts. When i say big i mean they were paid off by the end of the winter. So i have been blessed. Also when you have a skid steer and its paid off you dont mind it sitting in your yard for long periods of time sometimes. But also during the summer we do alot of landscape jobs so its easy to just bring the skid steers to a job and rip out old bushes and trees compared to digging them out by hard which was very tie consuming and strenuous. Hauling mulch on around commercial site is easier than pushing a wheelbarrow.

Then during the winter they are nice and compact yet have enough power to really push some snow. We use them in apartment complexes and subdivisions With 8ft blades and boxes. Then switch to a bucket and you can load snow or salt to haul! we use mostly liquid so we dont load too much salt.But thats another thread!

Skidsteers in the landscaping business are very helpful.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Worth it? Only YOUR spreadsheet and business plan will answer the question. The experiences of others are not going to be an answer to YOUR situation.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

yeah its worth it, if you have the work already..... you can also rent one when a job comes up

8. not worth it, way over priced, check into a good square and round nose shovel.

9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you find yourself renting one on a weekly basis?
    If not, your probably not in the market for even a used one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. tstutz

tstutz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I have found that i will have my skid sit for weeks then get a small job such as moving a safe for a city fella and it takes fifteen minutes and he flips me $200. The snow season is why i keep it. They kick A$s at pushing snow.