Is a standard truck ok?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by paul vroom, Oct 11, 2006.

1. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Guys..I have an opporunity to buy a truck, Dodge Ram 1500 with 40,000 miles on it for $10.000. It is a quad cab with some nice extras but it is a standard. I plan on using it to pull a 6x12 trailer with a mower..ect. Should I stay away from a stick and get an auto? How many people use a stick? I dont know what to do because it is a good deal for a truck but the standard thing scares me.
  2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

you could as long as you dont plan on plowing driveways with it. u will skip alot of gears. that aint good for the truck. but if i was you ide go out and buy a new w/b or somthing.
  3. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Actually, I believe a standard is better than an automatic if you are going to be pulling a trailer. That is why you see so many diesels equipped with standard. My crew drives a standard and pulls a trailer with it.
  4. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

The transmissions that diesel trucks (standard or auto) have for towing are a much more sturdy beast, designed for low end torque to get heavy loads rolling.

The manual/auto argument for me is more about more work for me. If I was looking for a truck to pull a trailer with I wouldn't be so worried about manual vs auto, I would be more interested n a hd trailer tow package which is more likely to have an upgraded trans with a trans cooler etc.

rear axel ratio plays a big part in all this too.
  5. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1990 with a standard transmission. 184000 miles. pulls a 16 foot enclosed trailer during mowing and plows in the winter. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

MJRLAWN LawnSite Member

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 standard, and it does fine. I pull a 16' with Zrider and 2-exmarks 36/48. I am looking to get another dodge again

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

In a 1/2 ton truck I would not want to have a manual trans. They were not desinged to pull. Most 1/2 ton with that trans were designed to get good mileage and therefore also have a tall gear. which will be a killer to pull with, I do not believe this is the truck for you.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Nah, a manual in a civic isnt meant to pull but in a 1/2 ton truck will be fine when pulling. Granted a 3/4 ton is built heavier, ladda dadda.

I would buy it if you like it, driving a standard is no big deal unless you do lots of backing/tight areas where you need to go slow.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I used several standard trucks but it still a little thrilling to pull up to a stop light on an uphill incline with a big trailer. And the car behind you is tucked in right behind your trailer. And if you pop the clutch and the engine stops is exciting.
  10. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

A standard trans is fine. He's pulling a 6x 12 trailer that most likely has a 3500lb gross. That's easy for a 1/2 ton truck. The Dodge NV trans is very sturdy. 1st and Reverse should be around 4:1. You should have no problems backing a loaded trailer with that kind of gear ratio assuming the truck has 3:55 or 3:92 axle ratio. As long as you don't mind shifting and your employees know how to drive a manual trans go for it. What year is the truck and what engine does it have?