1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is A Striping Kit Worth My Money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oasislawns, Apr 19, 2006.

1. oasislawns

oasislawns LawnSite Member

I live in southeast georgia and most of my lawns will be centipede or st. augustine grass. Do these types of grass stripe well enough to stand out? My mower is the Exmark 46" with the new triton deck. I also have a mulch kit and was wondering if the striping kit works with a mulch kit? Any input would be appreciated.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You can stripe without a kit, just drive the mower in the patterns and it should turn out. To see what effect a kit would have, cover the patterns 2-3 times: Yes it will take longer but you do it once or twice and then that answers your question.

As for me, I stripe without kit at least half the time, I just get in the mood and I don't have the kit with me so I do it anyway, with a 48" Toro Recycler Wb. If you cover the pattern correctly, it will turn out even with one pass, just maybe the kit would mark it a bit more but if you do it wrong, the stripes won't turn out even with a kit - Thus, striping without the kit may also be a good learning process.