1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a sulky bad for a gear driven WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Apr 16, 2007.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I recently bought a sulky and installed it on my 48" bobcat WB. I know that when I first bought this mower the previous owner which happened to be overweight wore out the transmission, possibly from him riding on a sulky. Will the sulky cause large amounts of wear and tear? Does anyone have a sulky made by rack'em? If so do you like it? I also never used a sulky before is their anything I should watch out for?

Thanks and by the way great website.
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I've ran a 2 wheeled sulky for a couple of years on my 36" belt drive....still is like brand new. I would say if you run a Pro Slide (none-wheeled) then you might run into problems down the road. I would recommend running a sulky with wheels. A new tranny only costs around 200 bucks....the time you will save in the few years will probably tripple that.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, if it's not on caster wheels, it is just like driving a trailer behind a truck. It will swing out when you turn, so watch out for fences and other obstacles.
  4. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

It's like plowing snow, it will wear your truck out faster but you will make more $$$$.
  5. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

If your light it is not a big deal but I am 300 pounds and have wore out many but considering you can mow alot faster it is worth it.