Is a Van better than a Pickup?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 26, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have spent the last several weeks looking for a decent full size pickup truck for about $5,000. To date I haven't found one that was worth what I could get the seller to agree to in price. So, I am thinking of going with a full size van. I think this vehicle will actually be better than a pickup. Here's why:
    • Similar towing capacity
    • Lots of secure inside storage space
    • Larger signage space on sides

So, do you think a van will work better than a pickup?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Vans are creepy.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

one of my biggest compeditors has a van.. lots of room for advertising, works good for him... i prefer a truck , i plow and other stuff...... if it works for you just make it look nice....:)

4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it seem to be the vehicle of choice for pedophiles.

5. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I see the vans around but a Pick up works for me better. I do snow removal so I need the pick up. I havent seen anybody really set up a van good enough for me to say "wow, mabe a van is the way to go." I usually see everything just layed out on the floor of it. Not so good for the equipment.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Vans and trucks of the same class share the engine and transmission, so an F-250 van is the same thing as a F-250 p'up truck, at least in the drivetrain, the only difference is the body.

The truck is perhaps overrated, perhaps its the fact that since everyone else uses it, one thinks you must use it, too, idk... But a van offers the same functionality with the following specific benefits:
    - Can be completely locked.
    - Doors in back and on the side.
    - Windows can be blacked out in the rear and the back side.
    - Equipment is out of sight, out of mind, and out of the weather.
    - Boards w/ hooks can be installed on the side walls, offering convenient storage.
    - Since it's enclosed, you can fit a LOT more stuff in there.

There are some specific drawbacks:
    - You can usually not see out the back window when backing up.
    - You will share the smell of your equipment, mostly it's that 2 cycle fuel stuff that ends up throughout the entire vehicle... It's not a bad smell, but it's a bit industrial and it tends to get a bit strong at times.
    - You can NOT simply drop something in / pick something else out: You HAVE to open / close doors, and the van's interior tends to clutter up more.
    - You'll need to build a metal mesh grate right behind your driving compartment!!! This costs a little time and money, but is an absolutely essential security precaution to prevent something come flying up at you from behind.

It's a trade off, I'd say it's neither better nor worse, but certainly an alternative I would consider.

7. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

a van? never. ever. to repair such a thing takes extreme flexiblity around the engine/tranny

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen several guys switch to vans because it cuts the fuel overhead in half! That's the most enticing thing I've heard, but I still think they are tacky.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I like a van,try it.

10. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

the van (and quite possissibly you) could be out of commission easily if some1 in front of you slammed their brakes