1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a Wright 60in Stander (w/out a floating deck)too big?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Jun 28, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Dane 60in Super Surfer w/ a floating deck and it was fine. Am I asking for trouble with a deck this big that's fixed scalping, transport etc?
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i've spend many hours on a 61" stander and they do scalp pretty bad. the deck hangs past both sides of the tires 4 or so inches. the 61" is on a 52" frame, so the over hang is a lot. if you're good enough, you can avoid most scalping, but i wouldn't recommend a 61" stander, only a 52", those can go anywhere and you can't scalp with them if you tried, well maybe not, but they hardly ever scalp.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

52" is the only way to go with the standers. The 61" is to big. It scalps really bad on hills. I had one for a week. Traded it back for a 52". Couldn't be happier with it.

Even the 61" sentar still scalps a little with its floating deck.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We recently switched to almost all standers this year. The 52's are the biggest machines we use. As stated they fit almost everywhere, and have alot of ground speed. A 61" is just too big IMO, unless you are doing acres of flatlands. :)
  5. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

If we showed up to a residential account with anything larger than a 52", we'd lose a lot of business.

-Mark Wood
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I had a 61" for a year. I really never had scaping issues. But I used my Toro 36" more because of the size of the 61". I traded it in on a 52" this year and now the 36" sees a lot less mow time.

7. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I heard something about Wright coming out with a Quick height change or something to that effect, I hope it's true.