1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is a Wright Stander better than W/B?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Jan 11, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm gonna do, so with all this experience out there I need to use your resources for pro's/con's.

I've got a great dealer in the area that carries Toro, Exmark, Kubota & Wright. I really like the Wright but not sure what those would say about the machine that have many hours on one. There are a few in the market, but want as much feedback a possible.

They seem like excellent machines but not sure how they would stripe. Also have a concern with the smaller units not having a floating deck. Yes...I know they have the Sentar, but not within my budget.

Thanks in advance for y'alls input & I do take appreciate this forum.
  2. Strawbridge Lawn0

Strawbridge Lawn0 LawnSite Member

I am seeking some info also.. Pretty sure the machine will be right for me, just trying to get some info also. Best to you
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well... One thing, a stander can only be is a rider, but a WB (with velky) can be a rider "and" a walk behind. Personally, I can't see a stander at all. A WB with a good castored velky is just more versatile, less money and can get under trees and shrubs better than a stander. True, a stander is shorter than a WB with velky, but so what. Lawns are big so turning around is never an issue.
    Just my two cents.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Pete! What, no mention of Hustler? LOL
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I figure no need to mention what's best, everyone already knows!!!:D
  6. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Hey kaufmaninc I noticed your in central Illinois. I'm in Decatur just curious about where your at. As far as the standers I have the same question myself.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, I just figured you finally got with the program and switched over to Ferris. LMAO
  8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a 52" Wright Stander for a year now. Have 300 hours on it. Also have a 36" Snapper WB.

There is no doubt I am more productive while I'm on my Stander. Turns, safety on slopes, visual advantages, space on the trailer all these and a few more convinced me to get this.

My next large production machine will probably be the Sentar if they address the confort of a tall man- I'm 6'4". The position I had to assume was slightly bent over when I demo'd the Sentar.

Takes about a solid week of using it to get comfortable. Although the sensitivity of the controls is adjustable. Now when I rent other mowers to handle say the storm water area for my church, I'm uncomfortable sitting down mowing. Plus on a Stander you are farther away from the dirt and debri than on a seated Z.

Never been happier with my decision. It's a good money making piece of machine.

9. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 LawnSite Member

I bought a new 48" stander last spring and have to say I love it. It handles very well, especially on slopes. It does take a little time to get used to but it has its benifits. Being up high you get a great view of what you are cutting and it moves very fast and does make great stripes. I currently also have an encore 52" prowler and when I replace that I won't hesitate to replace it with a sentar. They are extremely well built machines as well and very easy to work on. The fixed deck is a minor downfall, and the only other thing is that until you get used to it they tend to make ruts in the lawn when turning too fast. Good luck

Luke Anderson
    Oakhill Landscaping
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't u fold up the sulky when u r done?