Is a yard of mulch REALLY a yard of mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Lawn Outfitters, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Lawn Outfitters

Lawn Outfitters LawnSite Member

Hey guys help me out here. I am pricing a mulch job for 6700 sq. ft. If I do the math I should be able to cover 162 sq. ft. per yard (2 inches deep). The price sheet that I have from my local supplier has a foot note that 1 yard will cover approx. 100 sq. ft. 2 inches deep. That's a huge discrepency when trying to accurately price this job. I know when buying mulch in bulk sometimes you get a little less and sometimes you get a little more. If I go by my estimate I should need about 42 yard. If I go by the supplier estimate I will need about 67 yards. Go figure! Any advice would be appreciated.

2. GreenmanCT

GreenmanCT LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

42 yards is the correct amount. if theres plants and other things that take up space you can factor that in.

mulch formula is
    yards = (inches of mulch thickness / 12) X sq ft then divide that by 27.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

You would need 20.6 yds / inch you apply. I'm not sure about your supplier's price sheet except maybe they're trying to sell extra mulch. A yard covers 80 sq. ft at 4" thick (roughly.) I'd go with your 42 yd. estimate and if you need more then I'd be talking to your supplier and if need be have him come out and do the measurements himself and let him explain his special formula for figuring yds.

4. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Are you sure you read the suppliers price sheet correct? I suspect either you read it wrong, or they have a typo...... a "simple" calculation is
    1 yard 3" 100 sf
    1 yard 2" 200 sf
    1 yard 1" 300 sf
    I know its not exact, but it is simple math that people can easily compute and get pretty close.

5. Lawn Outfitters

Lawn Outfitters LawnSite Member

I think Raymond is correct. The supplier is trying to sell more mulch assuming the average Joe doesn't know any better. I have purchased from them before for much smaller jobs and I always felt the "load" was generous. They must be using the Washington D.C. "fuzzy math"!!

6. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

What was I thinking.... 2" is wrong above, I must be asleep... 1 yard 2" 150 sf

I have a spreadsheet that figures it for me... or try this

Square Feet x Depth = Cubic Feet then divide by 27= Yard(s)

(6700 X 0.16) / 27 = 39.70

Factors for Depth Inches:

1 inch Depth multiply by .08
    2 inches Depth multiply by .16
    3 inches Depth multiply by .25
    4 inches Depth multiply by .33

Thats more like it

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The place i get my bulk mulch at uses a one yard bucket but that's the struck volume of it. They always heap it as much as it will hold, so I can only get 6 yards in my 8 yard dump trailer or about 1/3 more than I pay for. So I don't feel bad about taking one wheelbarrow out of each load for "product evaluation" and using it at my place ;)

The density of the plantings can make a big difference in how much mulch you'll go through, but 2 inches is a good average depth to use if they replenish it annually.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

your estimate of 42 should be correct. 67 is crazy

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

42 is wht i came up with!

10. DKJLawnCare

DKJLawnCare LawnSite Member

I got 41.4 so I would go with the 42 too