Is a Z better than a walkbehind??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

Lets say a 48" Z vs a 48" walkbehind. Will a Z make you more efficient? I have a couple of walkbehinds but have never ridden a Z but am think of getting one and getting rid of my 48"walkbehind. I know I probably wont be so "beaten up" at the end of the day sitting and riding. thanks for the input....
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well they typically go faster so that will help...
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Tell me you are joking. Ofcourse you will benefit from the Z. When we made the switch, I stopped taking properties that I couldn't ride. The only thing that hasn't gotten better is my cholesterol level. Other than that....its a win win.

Others (the ones that swear by the walk behinds...the true veterans) will give you every mathematical equation as to why the wb are best but take it from me and millions of satisfied azzes, you will be better off. I own a WB but rarely use it. In fact, its a quick 36 WITH SULKY.
  4. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

yea i know it sounds like a stupid question. Unfortunatly theres no way I can get away from using a 36walkbehind. I have some bigger, wide open, no fence properties that a z would seem to be alot better. I guess if i get one i will sell my 48wb and probably bump up to a 60+ Z. Just trying to get some opinions since i never rode one. It may have to sit on the trailer for my postage stamp days which will drive me nuts. My theory is if it isnt moving it isnt making me money....
  5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Regardless of what you have, it will sit and not make money. I have 4 houses that I do on Wednesdays. They (the first 3) are 20 minute cuts. The 4th house is 1.5 hours to cut with the same equipment I use for the first 3. I bring the big boy for the 4th property and it takes me all of 23 minutes start to finish. I get an extra hour in the day to chill. If I didn't bring the big boy, I could leave the trailer at home and basically throw the push in the bed but the time saved is worth the extra wear and tear. I have the ferris is2000 now and my bum has never felt better!
  6. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

The ztr will be a lot more productive, but the wb has its place...Its better on steep hills and a 36" can fit thru most gates.
  7. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

The ZTR will be more productive, faster for you. If you have some steep slopes to cut, or areas confined by a fence with a narrow gate, you will still need a WB.
  8. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

No Z no honey...dude. I have run wb both belt and hydro for 4 straight years but as soon as I got my Gravely 52" Z, I said dang how stupid I was for 4 years! no kidding. Get at least 23 or 25 kawi or 27 koh to begin with, don't buy anything less of that hp on engine and that when power and speed and $$$ comes in.:cool2: