Is Aeration profitable ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ENDURO, Apr 10, 2006.

1. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

I would like to buy a Plugr aerator and advertise heavily for aerations this summer. Since the aerators are quite expensive, I want to make sure it will payoff. I believe the MSRP of the Plugr PL850 Pro HD is about $4,000. I would offer overseading and fert. services along w/ the aeration to hopefully maximize profits. Do most of your regular customers want you to aerate or do they feel it's too expensive, or a waste of money? Thanks.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Aerating is extremely profitable (especially done) and money well spent in conjuntion with seeding as well. We just purchased a PL800H last month and have made a ton of money with it already. BTW, now and the fall is the time to aerate, not in the hot, dry summer months.

The PL850 is about 1000 dollars more cause of the single hydro. You really don't need it IMO.

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a ZTR but the tufco 42" its $2,500 dollars less and is 4 times faster than a walk behind model. Then buy a used 19 or 26 " for perimeters. If you paln on doing a lot fast, thats the best way to go We do 4-6 homes per hour with the turfco if they are close together

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear a few of you say it is profitable but what does that mean and how many do you do a year. Around here can't get much work for aeration unless it is $60 for 7 - 9,000 sf.

I say first year test your area for what you can get and rent unless you snowballed with aeration jobs. Don't get caught up in buying something unless you know you will use it and pay it off soon.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Its my bread and butter. :rolleyes:

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay what does that mean? How many a year and how much $$ per how many square feet?

7. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Tru Green hit this old lady (I saw today) for $300 to do less then 10000 Sq ft., she got jammed.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I agree.... I own one walk behind and one tow behind and make good money off them but more and more guys are getting into aerations every year. I quoted a friend $195 for 13,000 sf. and she called saying she got a quote for $40. She said she knew I was priced right but was going to let this fool (her words) do it. I told her not to expect much and she agreed, but she does plan on me aerating and seed in the fall so she said she was only doing it for kicks since it's only $40. Initially she got the quote from me to aerate then seed but I found out she put pre-emergent down so I told her to wait. Moral of the story.. if you have fools in your area selling a lot of under priced aerations it might be hard to pay off new machine first couple of years.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I make more money per hour doing it, than anything else.

10. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

Was this guy doing spike or plug? That's a big difference for what he'll charge. There's a guy in my area charging 1/2 what everyone else is.