1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is all 2 cycle equip. using fix jet carb. now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KBW, Mar 9, 2003.

1. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

Is it true that the tougher emissions regulations have made 2 cycle equip. somewhat inferior to the older equip.? Is the newer stuff less reliable? Is it a good idea to try and find some leftover stock of the older equipment(trimmer/blower)? ........Kevin
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

As I understand 2 cycles and the way carbs are manufactured - no.
    I had a similar question and was informed by an engineer familiar with materials state that tolerances are much more accurate now than before due to the types of machines in use. He was referring to milling machines being CNC and digital rather than analog.
    Therefore, carbs could be made more simply meaning fixed jet.
    A by product of the better manufacturing process was a better running engine/more emission compliant but by no means like a 4 cycle.
    Apparently 2 cycles are on the way out, in my neck of the woods, new boat motors on the lakes are going to be all 4 cycle after 2004. I imagine all 2 cycle stuff will be phased out as well.
  3. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

There are a few companies that will continue with 2-cycle equipment well into the future. These are the larger, more advanced companies like Echo and RedMax.

The new stuff from Echo is awesome! They have a new engine technology that makes their new units lighter, more poweful, quieter with LESS FUEL CONSUMPTION...really good stuff.

Yes, there were some carb problems early in the game but most of the manufacturers have the problems taken care of now..

Try the new Echo power boost engines..you won't be disappointed!!
  4. KBW

KBW LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Echo Rules, do you sell or work for Echo, or are you just a satisfied customer? If you had in front of you a brand new srm-2601 (2001 model) and a brand new
    srm-260 (2003 model) what one would you choose? After reading your post I would say you'd take the srm-260 , however, I could be wrong..Kevin
  5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

One big problem with the newer fixed jet 2 cycle engines is that as the engine and carb wear and get older, the passages through which the fuel and air flow get slightly larger. In the past, the slow and high speed idle adjustments would allow you to adjust for this and produce a smooth running engine that still works well in both the high and low range RPMs. However, with the new fixed jet models, once the carb has worn in a bit, there's no adjusting! Simply put - you have to buy a new carb if you wan the piece to perform well again. That's a big drawback.