1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is all Lesco equipment made like schit?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 13, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I bought five lesco back packs when I started...one for each material that I spray.

Well, today, after I spot treated some crabgrass with MSMA (and went through the torture of trying to get the back pack on and off of my trailer with hoses going all over the place and fooling around with those straps that NEVER stay on) I grabbed my Stihl back pack blower.

Bam! It hit me. If I had to spend even half the time with my Stihl blower straps that I do with my Lesco back pack sprayers, I'd be out of business. The Stihl company makes damn sure their shoulder straps don't get disconnected from their product...why can't Lesco?

So I'm thinking to myself for the next hour (there's nothing else to do while working, is there?) about what a schitty product those Lesco back packs are. Pull up to the next house and start going through the hassle of tryinig to get one of my back pack sprayers off my trailer. I finally get it off the trailer and get the straps on in the right place and start spraying Manage for nutsedge. Suddenly no pressure in the hose. But I do notice something cold and wet dripping down the crack of my azz, down my leg and into my boot. The hose disconnected and material was draining out of the spout on the bottom of the tank. I've had a headache ever since and I think it's from the pesticide contact.

Anyway, is it just me, or have others noticed that the Lesco back pack sprayers, which cost a hundred bones a piece, are made like total garbage? My Lesco spreader has been pretty reliable, but after this experience, I'm no where near considering any other Lesco equipment.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've had similar experiences with their sprayers. Maybe you could hit them up with a little lawsuit for the leakage...

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I've been looking for a good bp sprayer and have pretty much decided to get a SP2 sprayer. Do you know anything about these?

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco does not make blowers. The first ones LBB 4200 were

made by Echo. I had one. The LBB 4400 looks like a Maruyama.

Lesco now sells Kawasaki blowers. I currently use a Stihl

340 & 420 their straps also come off some times. Ed

5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he's talking about sprayers ed, not backpacks. I think the sprayers are made by Solo though. We have 2 lesco backpack sprayers, both bought this past spring. So far they have been working fine. Except the caps seem to leak. Replaced the gasket but they still leak. Havn't had problems with the straps yet.

I too would like to know what sprayers others are using.

6. greg6775

greg6775 LawnSite Member
    from ky

yes they do suck balls

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

LOL
    hey man, not laughing at you, I feel your pain. Yes, lesco and any product they carry, sucks.

BTW, the headache, most likely from the frustration of crappy equipment, not the product

8. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I'm using shindaiwa backpacks but I'm not in love with them either-I do have an echo but it's pretty hard to keep the trigger depressed and it's about 6" short on the hose-(I'm 5'9")-the shins can't seem to keep the little steel hooks in place so I have to constantly put them back in-I've tried using hvy dty zip ties but they just break-I plan o buy Solo's when these get unbearable to use

9. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

YES! I don't understand why they didn't make the straps to stay connected at all times. Also, the plastic clips on the pump arm made to hold the spray wand when stored broke quickly.

10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

My solo straps do the same thing. It is so annoying every time you get ready to put it on you have the put the straps back on also.