is all of your mowers the same name brand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JKOOPERS, May 30, 2004.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have noticed that alot of people on here have all different kinds of mowers . wouldnt it be easier to get parts at the same place for everything .
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

it doenst matter as long as you can get everything for your different brands at the same dealer.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

most of mine are the same. Quicker and easier for maintenance and service from my dealer, instead of having to deal with many dealers
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My push mowers are all the same 5 Hondas. Have a Kubota and a Hustler that came from the same dealer. Hondas are a different dealer. Also a couple of MTD Pro that are from a different dealer. I have bought what I like and works best and really dont care who makes it or sells it. For example the Kubota dealer sells Exmark,Hustler,Scag, and used to sell Dixie chopper Or at least tried to sell the Dixies:( And the other dealer sells, MTD,Cub Cadet, Graveley,Honda, Toro.
  5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i buy what i like thats what my old lady is for running to the different dealers if i need parts etc i call in and then they are ready by the time she gets there
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, both are exmarks.
  7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Better to deal with one dealer for parts and equipment. Only deviated from this when it came to trimmers. I prefer Echo and my dealer sells Stihl. So I went somewhere else.
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Push and wbs are Toro. Never had any problems, so no reason to change.
  9. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

1. Kubota, Exmark and JD riders
    2. Echo, Honda, Stihl trimmers/blowers
    3. Husqvarna, Stihl chainsaws/cutquicks
    4. Honda, Husqvarna push 21"s

Getting parts can be a pain, but I live in a pretty rural area and almost everything has to be ordered anyway.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

All of my stuff is different brands. Only two things the same brand are one of the trimmers and the chainsaw (Stihl, love it!). The edger and backpack blower and Shindaiwa were all used, otherwise I would have went with Stihl and Redmax on the blower. The walk behinds are used. I bought those because the eXmark was exactly what I wanted and does just what I need and does it well. It got me through hard times and tough lawns. Now it will be for an employee, backup, or large steep slopes. The Gravely I got because I needed something in that size and it was dirt cheap even though it’s real old it’s so simple to fix or modify or whatever. Once I put doubles on it, it will leave a good cut and discharges well (stripes ok too). Does just fine in wet grass and so does the eXmark (this is important to me). The Ferris I got because it had a lot of features over other machines (suspension, heavy duty air filter, fuel gauges, conveniently located controls not under your legs like some, etc.) and because they have an awesome deal going on it. I tried the machine and found that it does an awesome job and knew I’d be happy with it. So far, I am! The dealer is 45 minutes away, but the nearest one is only 10 minutes closer. I went the extra 10 minutes because I know the guy I bought it from and I know he’ll take care of me and not lie. The other dealer that is closer I used to work for at a branch location near me and they lied to customers and ripped them off whenever. I suppose that happens more than we like to think it does, but when you work for someone you find out more than you wanted to know.

As for parts, I really do not have breakdowns. Never have. I take care of my machines and do the proper maintenance. As for maintenance parts and blades, I get them all at a local parts warehouse company. They carry PrimeLine and other brands. They have all of the common parts and parts unique to each brand unless it’s like John Deere where you can’t get parts anywhere but a dealer. The parts at this place are much cheaper than a dealer, closer, and they deliver them on a truck to my house in the mornings when I need or I can pick them up. Also I have a credit account there which lets me go in and get stuff in the middle of a work day when I may have $500 in my wallet, but all in checks. They know me in there and they take care of me. They don’t lie to me and don’t rip me off. I get a discount since I have the account there too. So my 52” blades are generally about $7-8 a piece for a standard lift blade.

Sorry so long. I never have had dealer loyalty but then everything but the Stihl trimmer and the Ferris Z was used. I do not like the Stihl dealer but the trimmer is awesome.