Is all sprayer hose the same?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Triple R, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

What brand and type of hose do you use?
    I have only used Green Garde hose and was wondering what other manufactures are there? I bought a skid sprayer with 1/2" hose and switched to 3/8" because the 1/2" hose was too stiff and hard to work with. I have seen a couple of other guy's locally with what looks like 1/2" or larger grey hose and it seems to be more flexible but I have no idea what it is.

Here is where I get my hose from it's only $215 for 400' of 3/8" delivered
    http://www.turfeagle.com/products/sprayhose.html

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I switched to 3/8 a few years ago and it makes a big difference, you will like it! back at the beginning of time when I started in the business we used ammonia hose because it was lightweight and about .50cents a foot. I think the green guard 600 psi type hose was about $3 a foot back then.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i jst seen an add for green garde from www.westheffer.com for 3/8= .50 foot and 1/2= .65 foot..

greenfrog..
    i see your setup in the back of your p/u ,looks like they fit nice....what kind of sprayers do you use?
    ant

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you using 3/8" spray hose, what kind of volume are you getting at the end of 300 or 400 feet of hose.

I would like to switch to 3/8".

I often spray putting greens with fungicides and like to keep my spray volume up to 2.5 gal/M.

Haven't yet found a friction loss chart like they use for pipe. Anybody know where to find one for spray hose?

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have one here somewhere. I ll look for it and post it as soon as I can.

6. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Call Westheffer I'm sure that they will know the friction loss on the two different types of hoses. I prefer the 3/8" hose especially when dragging it all day. I have a rig with both 1/2" and 3/8" hose and I can tell a difference when pulling the lighter.

7. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I have 2 spayers in there. Both are 50 gal. with 400' of 3/8" hose on cox electric reels, Honda 5.5hp and 1 has a hypro D30 and the other has the D19. On the opposite side of the reels and pumps is a rack for up to 5 backpack sprayers and I still have plenty of room in the bed for granular fert and spreader. It's amazing how much you can do with a service bed. The truck is an S-10 and fully enclosed but I am not using it and don't plan on using it in the near future. I now use a GMC 3/4 ton pickup with a 100 gal fiberglass tank and a D30 pump on a skid and pull my enclosed trailer for mowing. It's easier than having to switch trucks to spray. Eventually I will set up my GMC the same as the S-10 but with larger tanks. I already have the service bed just need to install it but I don't know if I will buy the aluminum cap for it since it cost a lot, probably over $2k for a full size the S-10 cap was $1,500 a couple years back. If all goes as planned I will eventually have a custom bed designed for doing pest apps.

8. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

You can expect about 2+ gpm with 300' of 3/8 in. hose at 150#-180# pressure with a Chemlawn gun (green tip). 3+ with 1/2 in. You might want to look into Spiralite yellow hose. It's worked well for us for many years.

Neal

9. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member

Neal,

Thank you, that was the kind of info I was looking for.