Is an edger really worth it vs. my string trimmer? Pro's check in:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by driver5, Aug 5, 2008.

1. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been doing this for years, and I honestly think that Im a pro at cutting in and maintaining an edge. I use a reverse 45 degree angle ( using my string trimmer )

Ive got a shinny combo unit and Im thinking about buying the edger attachment. Is it really worth having one? Is it any better than using my string trimmer?

Toss em at me: all the pro's n con's and everthing inbetween.

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use only edgers. Down south, the grass looks bad if edged with a weedeater.

PROS: Leaves a nice, clean cut with no scalp spots, cuts through overgrown edges, edges faster than trimmer, less line used, doesn't hack up plants or other objects near
    CONS: Extra $, walk back to trailer to get machine, need a high powered edger for overgrown edges

I use a Stihl KM 90 R with the straight shaft edger, never a trimmer. It has plenty of power (28.4 cc).

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I know you'll get different opinions on this topic, as I've seen in previous posts, but I like to use a walk-behind edger for the first cut on a curb, sidewalk, or drive way and use the string trimmer after its been "trenched" out. It always seems to me that the first initial cut using a trimmer takes a bit longer and throws up a lot more debris.

4. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

We use my line trimmers about 75% of the time. One week out of each month every lawn gets "recut" with a fresh edger balde. We have very sandy soil here, and with the rains the edges tend to wash in so we clean them out once a month. In my opinion the trimmer line leaves a cleaner edge than the blade.

5. driver5

does anyone have photos that compare the two. That would be great to show on this site. ( show a photo of edges with a string trimmer, and then show an edge with the edger).

How can you use the edger on an overgrown " ( driveway, sidewalk, or what ever) when you can't even see where the edge is? wouldnt you damage the blade ?

6. VAMower

VAMower LawnSite Member
    from VA

Was use them a lot at the beginning of the year. Along side walks and drive ways because the dirt has grown over the edge. We use a spade to find the edge and then cut along it. We might touch them up once during the year with an edger but use line trimmers the rest of the year.

Not to get too far off the subject but, how do you like the combo?

7. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

i've used a straight split shaft echo 230 for 3 years now, no problems except one broken throttle trigger. Im solo, so i take good care of my trimmer, many would say not to get a split shaft (im think some are just old battle axes "we'll thats not how we've always done it")

Like i said though I love the trimmer and with it I can use:

*Bump String head- Trim and Edge
    *Edger Attachment- great for over grown edges
    *Hedge Trimmer Attachment- reaches way up compared to a dedicated hedge trimmer.

The edger is nice to have when its spring and the grass and dirt have washed and compacted over the edge of concrete, or when you get a new customer that hasnt had there concrete edged in years. Like other have said, I use the edger to "re-rut" the edge so i will have a slot to run the string line.

My two cents

8. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I think u can go a heck of alot faster when having a straight edger compared to having to worry about scalping the grass!

9. driver5

The combo is great ! I mostly use the pole saw and mainly the hedge trimmer. It can go into any angle. I also have a dedicated hedhe trimmer. I have found that i use the combo more than I do it.

Its expensive at first.. but its well worth it.

p.s. I didnt buy the string trimmer attachment only because I feared that all the bumping would weaken the joint.

speaking of string trimmers.. I cam across a brand new 260 the other day for 360 bucks.. Im going to put it up for long long term storage. so one day when one of my older 260's die, I will have one fresh of the showroom floor! ( I may go buy one more )

for those of you reading that dont know.. the 260 has been discontinued. Now you can get a 261 with a nice catalytic converter... awesome!!!
    So,if you come across any "old" 260's, you'd better scoup it up.

gnite

10. ojpent

ojpent LawnSite Member

I would go with a walk behind edger rather than a attachment for the split shaft. I have a split shaft edger and it cut well if the over growth is min., but with heavier grow the w/b edger is the way to go..