Is an LLC needed?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Sonshines, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sonshines

Sonshines LawnSite Member

If you are doing lawns and clean-ups for residential homes (perhaps duplexes), and repo homes, do you need to have an LLC?

Thanks for your responses in advance! =)

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

No.......
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Sonshines

Sonshines LawnSite Member

When would you need one? DBA or mnic (not sure what these are---saw on another thread).

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

You would decide this at the time you decide what type of business you want to have, dba is doing business as. I suggest you use the search feature hear....
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Llc will seperate you from your biz. I recommend in case you kill someone or get sued. As a dba they can take your assetts even personally as collateral. I am llc and I lease any equipment or real estate the biz uses to the biz, so technacally the biz doesnt really own anything.. it has tax benefits too
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Retrodog. An LLC protects your personal assets. I know people that set up their own LLC but I utilized "My Corporation" to set mine up. Rather pricey but they set it all up (State and Federal) and I didn't have to worry about missing something in the process.

7. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to a knowledgable CPA the other day, I guess there are several things that you need to document to make your llc stand up against a good lawyer. Things like meetings and other meaningless documented things

8. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

9. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

What Tax benefits?
    The IRS Does not recognize LLC's.

It does not protect you or separate you and your company assets. Especially if you are a single member or you and your wife or you and your single business partner. I think I may have made a mistake going with an LLC. But for $300 a year I figure what the hell.

10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

My attorney did advise that an LLC does provide protection of my personel assets. To play along with your statement, why would anyone form an LLC?