1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone afraid of the current economic situation ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, Oct 1, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious to see the posts on this one.

Is the current state of the economy going to impact your business??? Personally it looks like I'll be having loan problems next year if I decide to buy more equipment. I might have to make my purchases on a cash only bases only because of the tighter restrictions on loans. That and are people still going to be wanting landscaping done after their investments have taken a down-hill slide.

Probably not going to be as many comercial developments next year either, so there goes commercial installs.

I don't have a lot of overhead, so a hit isn't going to hurt me other than the income.

Any thoughts.......

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ill be ok as long as the BEER keeps flowing.

Seriousley now is a good time to have your fiances in order preferably be Debt Free

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got some customers who are freaking out, and I've had one or two fall through that I had figured were laydowns. On the other hand, the phone is still ringing. The financial sector tried to tell everyone that the world would end if the bailout didn't fly. Well, it didn't- and we're still here. I think a lot of folks are kind of shrugging their shoulders and going "I still have a job, and I still want that ______."

That said, I'm selling them hard and fast before Paulson can open his stupid mouth again!

4. White Gardens

No more posts than this. I'm kinda disappointed, I thought I would get a flurry of opinions on this one.

5. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We have seen in the last week or so a number of company's state they are closing their doors for good.

Equipment is being sold about 40% under value and we have been buying them up as fast as we can.

Panic is a funny thing. When everyone starts to run away you need to hold your ground and hang on.

During the same time we are getting so many bids that we have two full time estimators scrambling, putting in 12 or more hours per day and working all day Saturday.

It only looks up from here for us and I think those with looking at the future holding opportunity instead of having the 'Chicken Little' attitude.

6. White Gardens

See, that's what I'm thinking. If I'm establishing my business at a low point then it should only go forward. I've doubled every year for the past three, and for some reason I don't feel there is going to be any reason I can't double again next year. (My goal is to double for the next three)

I hope I'm savoy enough to pull it off, I'm guessing that's what it's going to take to keep moving forward.

Any Mods, or sponsors want to put in more input???

7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

It is my opinion that the media sends everyone running in a panic, the sky is falling, the sky is falling, meanwhile in real America yes ordinary people are finding it hard to swallow the crap that big oil and this Bush administration have been feeding us, also fueled by media B.S. but yet business continues and customers will always come and go. So I try my best to maintain a positive attitude and roll with what ever comes my way, I do not intend to let this political garbage take me down...

8. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

at this piont in time i have done giving up on the american government, they are suppose to do the good for the people, but all they care about is doing good for themselfs and big corporations.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

When i started my business i came in knowing i had to generate my own income so whats different now, it seem that the phone keeps ring for more quotes in the lawn care, snow plowing, seal coating, and concrete work. I agree the common public is still moving on, i don't have millions invested in the stock market so i'm not worried.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is some thing to have great concern of. We all do a luxary business, from cutting grass to building walls we are not really needed. I mean if it comes down to a guy putting food on the table or paying for our services, what do you think he will ckoose?
    Mike