Is anyone else the junk man?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, May 22, 2004.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, once again I went to do a bid at a house today, it was a total mess. In a nice neighborhood, nice side of town, sits that half a million dollar home with a yard that has gone crazy. Not to mention (while the owners are very nice people), they are also a little crazy for letting it get this way. All of the natural areas need cleaned out, rip wrap needs cleaned out, bushes need cut, and he wants to sign up for our weekly services. I told him it was no problem doing all of the work and that I would get back to him within 3 business days. The one thing he asked me to do, which I have of course included in my final price is hauling away junk from the backyard. He has an old grill, some hoses, a sink, and a couple of old trash cans just laying on the ground. My question to you all is: do you even deal with junk like this or do you tell them no, thats not for us? I felt like hauling away all the junk wouldn't really be a problem since we are going to be there doing a bunch of other things, but when do you draw the line on being a trash man? Oh, while I was there today I saw a nice big copperhead slither by me, this is going to be fun.

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, happens here. As long as they pay I will do it.

The snake part is what would scare me.:alien:

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't haul away trash or junk. Yard waste is another matter. Tree branches, old shrubs, Hedge clippings, etc I take to the landfill for a fee. If the customer needs household trash removed from the property, he needs to call for waste disposal service ( a garbage truck) to haul those items away. You have to be careful about hauling junk from a customers property. Sometimes there is hazardous waste and if you take it to a landfill you need a special license to dump it. Be careful.

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i have a scrap man who i am good friends with and he takes all steel etc charges and tehn gets money for that so it works out good for me and him

5. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've hauled some stuff off for some of my better clients. One has a rental property that gets trashed about every other year. When the deadbeats move on he needs the furniture, etc. that the leave hauled off to the dump. Another commercial property (real estate office) frequently has stuff that is stored, needs to be hauled to dump. I am only happy to do that for them to help pay for my dump trailer. Especially if they are paying me $60 per hour to do it (plus travel & dump fee)!

Mike-

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I've hauled away junk before preping for a hydroseeding job we were going to do. I charge an arm and leg for the hauling away.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. Will Haul for Fee. Posted on side of my trailer. I belive It is my number one seller during the slow times, not to mention landing me several accounts that were, lets say, not so deseriable at first.
    Any ways I will haul garbage or send my cousin out with trailer to haul away.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Haul something to the dump? Sure, why not?

I call stuff like this "paid favors" payup

You are doing them a favor and it's good for them.
    Paid favors are double good for you.

Here is how I look at it. A lot of customers consider anything in the lawn to be lawn work. You're a lawn service right? For a price I will come back during my 'extras' time and haul off junk from the lawn.

Past that, for a price I will come back during my 'extras' time and haul off whatever from wherever. Some extra money for me, keeps me in the loop and it's a favor they will remember (hopefully) when competition comes knocking with a better price. To some customers, it's the little things that matter and mean more to them. Most of them don't mind paying for the favor. They just want it done and they appreciate you for taking time to take care of there oddball request. So my extra paid favor offerings are certainly not just limited to hauling as that is a given.

Where do I draw the line on hauling? Nothing unsafe and nothing that's way too hard to load/unload. Last but not least, no hauling for anyone expecting a freebie.

9. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

$100 per truck load.......filled or not filled

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have done that also. We have a dump transfer site right in town for the big loads but the city allows us to bring smaller loads of certain items (no tires) right to the Municipal Center and dump it - for free. The transfer station charges per ton with a minimum of 5 bucks I think.
    If you aren't moving haz mat and the snakes don't get you, what the heck. There is lots of money in trash.