is anyone NOT using doubles and mulching leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 8, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

been indoors for 3 days with bronchitis. finnaly got out today. loved it! its almost fun seeing what i can do to these leaves with my doubles. sorry guys, im still amazed, the excitement hasnt worn off yet. i know u guys been using them for years, but i just started late last year using the doubles with no catcher. i watched as 4 employees of a big landscape company blew massive mountains of leaves, then tarped them and loaded them onto 2 trucks. i did 3 big cleanups by myself. massive leaves on all of them. on one, i even blew the piles of soaking wet oak leaves from the street, onto the property, and mulched them. what would have easily been a large dumptruck load of leaves, was reduced to nothing. i came home with 2 green barrels of leaves, thats it. is anyone still not doing this? and....why?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

on a few properties at the owners request they are removed,other than that they get mulched in during regular cutting and what is now left after next week will be mulched,blown,tarped ...whatever suits the circumstance.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Bobby, I'm curious as to what type of mower you use, blade combination, mulch kit installed etc? Are you getting any blowout?I tried doubles once for leaves, although I was bagging them. Got way too much blowout.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Before we do full blown cleanups we mulch, simply to continue maintenance without incurring cleanup pricing. After maintenance season is over, we pick everything up. Some larger properties you can get away with mulching, but most clients want the leaves removed. :cool:

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

today i used a 36 bobcat. 15 hp kawi. blades were mulchers(not gators, they are like high lifts, light weight, but have a bend in them like the high lifts, with another cutting edge on the bend, hope im sayin this right), and then gators on top. two spacers separate the blades. i go over it several times with no catcher. results are phenominal! incredible! i'm so happy. i was a non believer before. and i'm talkin these leaves were heavy.

6. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

just curious as to why the owners would have you remove the doubles. what don't they like about them? why did you tell them about them?

7. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they mean that the customer requests the leaves to be removed, not the blades:)

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

May I introduce you to my good friend Cheesedawg?:p :dizzy:

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Scottishmaximus,
    If you were reffering to my post, it was concerning removing the leaves not the blades. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

10. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

THAT.. was great! LOL:D