Is anyone refusing Bi-weekly customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bill8379, Jan 26, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have the guts to refuse them though last spring almost every grass cutting problem I had was from these cheap skates. I think this year I will tell them No bi-weekly for the first 6 weeks of spring.

2. Morningside

Morningside LawnSite Member

I am done with them as well. the grass is high and it screws up my weekly schedule.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

LOLI will mow them but.......they sign the paper that states I dont care what it looks like (no double cut) and in the summer drought if nothing else is growing I will be there regardless oh and I charge 50% more...so a yard that would usually be 50 bux is 75.....either they take it or they dont.....surprising how many take it lol

waayne

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I don't waste my time on them anymore. If a lawn is thin and weak, I may agree to bi-weekly cutting at 150% normal cost, but as soon as it becomes a pain, it's weekly or good-bye.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I tell them it the same monthly price for cutting it weekly or bi weekly. It's the same amount of grass and either way I have to mow it and make it look good. I don't have any bi weekly accts period. If they don't water I drop em, I'm in the business of mowing grass not eating dust. Fortunately here most have underground sprinkler systems, no water shortages as of yet in 15 yrs either.

7. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

I don't do biweekly. my price is for the year so each week I make an evaluation on whether or not it needs to be cut. Unlike guys who charge by the cut I actually can make more money in a drought when I need to cut less.
    The last guy I had ask me about bi-weekly I told him i would do it but I was going to charge him double the price each cut. If the grass gets too tall it takes longer to cut it than if you did it every week. You can also site the principal that you do not want to remove more than 1/3 the height of the grass in a single cut, so it is plain and simply unhealthy to cut bi-weekly. If their lawn is not healthy enough warrant cutting every week then sell them lawn renovation.
    If all this fails then they are not worth your time. God I love annual contracts...

8. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

...Also I think about perspective cutomers driving by and seeing a lawn that looks like hell on that week in between cuts and I really do not want that to paint a bad image of my work.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh you mean those folks who hardly have anything remotely resembling a 'lawn?'

You mean those folks who done sat down and 'budgeted' 2-300 dollars because they figured it costs no more vs. them doing it themselves?

Them kind?

That stuff is hard on my machines, some grow so dang slow I don't think bi-weekly is a good term, more like monthly!
    So if I have to stop past 15 times in order to cut it 8 for the season... They never spend a dime above and beyond, and for the lousy 2-300 a year that they do spend I have to provide the same level of service than I provide customers spending 700-1000 and more a year. So cost-wise, I can turn down 3-4 of these for every high dollar one I get.
    And even if I have open slots on my schedule it's still far more worth it keeping those slots open.

Last but not least a bounced check or a no pay?
    Them's exactly the kind of folks who don't give a RAT about their credit record!
    They would as soon trade 50-60 Fico points instead of paying what they owe, thou they'd never admit it.

That's not to say the credit record of a customer with a nice lawn is perfect, but chances are if they care about the yard then I'll get paid, and IF I don't they still don't need the hassle, most of these do eventually pay, even if it takes a year or two.
    I've only had one or two in 6 years outright not pay, most pay as soon as the first 'did you probably forget?' letter comes around.

Yeah :laugh:
    So, if I do take any one on it will be for a high price and pay upfront.

10. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I have bi weekly accts. Most have centipede w/o irrigation and they are fine every two weeks. I dont' go over them twice and they look good. I would rather they were weekly, but some don't grow that much in a week.