1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is anyone seeing dollar signs today?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bommaritro, Jul 22, 2003.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

I have gotten at least 30 call this morning asking about yard clean ups and branch\tree removal. I was out until 11pm last night clearing some customers driveways. I think at one time I had 6 saws running plus one guy manning the chipper.(Lucky me for renting it yesterday to clean up my yard.) I think I am going to be super busy for the next couple of days. I am looking forward to an unexpected cash infusion. I may have to look at my shopping list and change the priorities on some future purchases.

Ron Bommarito
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

This week is busier than ever but not because of storms... it's the on week for bi-weeklies, I got a new bi-weekly for this week, I'm doing one for a lady who's mower is broke, and doing one for a guy on vacation. This week is getting over 50% more income than normal weeks, I am happy.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

man, all we got was some light wind, and a few rain drops
  4. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

My county has been declared a state of emergency. For how long I have no clue. I decided to take a break from the action. I needed to rest mix up some more 2 cycle, get some more bar oil, and a dry set of clothes.

Power was still out to a significant part of the city and there are branches and limbs down all over. I personally saw 3 24-36" tree toppled over by from the roots. No major damage from them falling over luckily.

The worst damage that I saw was a big trampoline that took off and smashed into a house. Went through a large bay window and took out a few walls. The lady is lucky to be alive. She was sitting in her rocking chair when it happened. She had to be no less than 6" from where it came in.

Most of the clean ups have been running $200+ so I am raking it in. I am going to take my guys out when we are all done a give a good meal and a hefty bonus for all the hard work.

5. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! we got alot of rain and lightning, but no damage like that.
    It's rockin and rollin now and the same for tomorrow and Thursday.
    Wait till the grass decides to kick in!
  6. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

FSG, It would seem like if you do bi-weeklies that splitting them up evenly would work well.

If you have 10 bi-weeklies do 5 this week and 5 next week. Evens the workload out, eh?
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this July has been great for us (knock on wood). We usually have at least 2 to 3 weeks on drought during July, but this year has been great with rain at least twice a week.
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

That is always my intention when I split mine up, but then something usually happens and I end up with them all in 1 week again! ARGH!

Like tiedeman said, usually this time of year I've got a drought. This year we've had a nice supply of rain and I'm just mowing away like normal. Nice for cash, but I could use a break!

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Green, that would be nice, but there is a reason behind each one...example one person works 7 days on and 7 off and on the off week they mow it, I do it on the week they work. I don't mind these being bi-weeklies because they don't grow THAT much..