Is anyone using the new Lesco Ride-on?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Is anyone using the new Lesco ride-on?
    I looked at one yesterday.
    It seems decent I think.
    Anyone have real experience yet?
    What are its strengths?
    Its weaknesses?
    I'm thinking of putting one on as well as my PG.

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

i bought one. It seems pretty good for small to medium jobs. I am not so sure about the really big jobs. I have a lazer w/ spreader for those. much faster. I really like the hydro drive as it is easy to get around back and forth. It will hold 3 bags of material so you can get a lot done. As long as the hopper has some in it, it will go up just about any hill no matter how steep without spinning. Also will go down and can stop in the middle of a steep hill.
    Disadvantage, since the back wheels push the unit it can be hard to steer on rough ground. What I mean is that if one of the front wheels hits a hole, the back wheels driving will push the front and make it pivot to the side the hole is on therefore making the unit want to turn. You have to keep correcting the steering on this rough grades. On smooth ground it is not a problem.
    The only reason I bought this over the pg was cause of the hydro drive and I am glad I did. Love it, instant reverse. Controls are all right there and easy to use.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pilgrims' Pride

I have looked at the Lesco Ride On and have concerns about how long it will hold up. My main question is what will happen when it gets covered in fertilizer dust. Will it rust away??

I love my Lesco Trickster. How ever for the price, replacing it every couple of years is not an issue. The constant running broad cast wheel has its advantages that the others don't have. I use a 1993 Walker that has seen better days as a mowing machine. However it should give me many years as a application machine.

4. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

seen it, to me its junk

just my opinion of course!

I suppose if something breaks on it...well in typical lesco fashion one could expect to wait weeks for the parts??

Of course, I am extremely down on lesco, so my opinions are bias

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TSM

I am not sure if everyone knows that Lesco bought out MTD. Now most of Lesco's Equipment is made it their MTD plant.

6. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

OK TSM

Don't hold anything back!
    Care to expand a bit on the opinion?

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

welp, its basicly a regular lesco spreader (tubular stainless steel frame) with a sulky attached...and they want something like $2600? Put a 200 lb person on it with 100 lbs fert in the hopper doing say 125-150,000sf per day...I'd give it 2 seasons at best.
    And, application travel speed is 3.5 mph, thats average walking speed...so, when you figure the time to load/un-load this thing I think you're gonna be losing production hours.

we have several lesco 'hydro spreaders' (you know, the motorized spreaders but you got to walk behind them) Brought them in in Jan. for service. I told them money is no object, I want them gone through with a fine tooth comb and want them LIKE NEW when i pick them up. They had them 8 weeks. First day out in the field...yep, you guessed it, nothing but problems. They charged us aprox. $400 per spreader and now these thing run WORSE than when I brought them in! They have had 2 of them now since March 30, today makes 2 weeks and I'm getting a huge run-around. I walk in there and everyone starts pointing fingers at everyone else. We're waiting for parts that are coming from Michigan...2 weeks...i could have walked there and back by now!
    Man, I have HAD it with those clowns!!!

I posted a thread in here a few days ago, maybe a week ago, anyway I stopped in to pick up a pallet of fert/dimension (we dont buy product from them, but I was in the area and figured I'd pick up a pallet because we were having a really killer production day and wanted to keep going) They had NO product on the floor...nothing no preemergent at all...they told me they would get me a pallet from another service center tomorrow...I laughed, fact is we had plenty of product at our shop so I didnt really need it...but imagine...april and no preemergent!?!? Went in there is Sept last year for dylox (what they call 'white grub and sodweb worn control'...didnt have any..LOL Sept and no dylox?!?!?
    they are PATHETIC!!

whew....you caught me on a day where I spent an hour with them and now I'm so p'ed off!!!

Anyway, there ride on machine is nothing to brag about. Spend $2000 more and get a perma green (buy direct, not from lesco) or spend $4000 more and get a Z-spray. Sure they cost more, but if you're like me you want a machine thats gonna give you years of service.
    you get what you pay for?

DISCLAIMER: the rant you just read is MY opinion. Yours maybe different. I deal with 3 (sometimes 4)Lesco service centers in MA, if it was just one i'd have to think its just the employees...but i deal with 3 and its the same at all 3.

8. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I own the lesco renovator, but its a MTD OS2000 ( i think ) I believe it was one year they made those renovator and painted them red and put mtd stickers on it. Even the lesco guys didnt know about that machine, they thought I painted it red.

I got a chance to drive there spreader around a little a couple days ago, I also not sure how it would hold up in the day to day fertilizer world, and why market it if you cant spray, For the money I would have to agree with TSM and say your better off spending a few dollars more on the PG or Zspray.

However I do like the little sulky on that lesco machine, I think it would go great on the PG.

9. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ric, I too have 2 trucksters, I use them mounted on a toro zmaster ( walker clone ) before I bought my PG's

Those things were great I would have to replace the motor every couple of years ( $190.00 ouch ) but I got great results with them.

Right now I have one mounted on the back of a lesco 48" pull behind aerator. So as I aerate I can overseed in one pass. I'm Doing some soccer fields on the 22nd so I'll post some pics

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

James

The broadcast wheel is electric and spins even when you are stopped. Because of this the truckster is more versatile. I can drive up to a shrub bed stop and open the hopper. Therefore I can broadcast fertilizer in my shrubs beds. Try that with one of the high priced jobs.