Is beer a write off!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Greatdane612001, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Greatdane612001

Greatdane612001 LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if beer's a write off!

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Might depend on who's drinking it!

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

It is if its a business expense!:D BTW,do you like my wavy stripes?:D :drinkup:

4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yea...nothin better than showin up on the client's step with a "gift" of beer, esp when the client cracks one open and hands you one as a thanks for a job well done...and it IS a write-off...
    N

5. boohoo

boohoo Banned
    from USA

Had a friend when I worked in the finance industry who was able to legally write off slot machine losses.!!

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

the guy on the news here sprays his lawn with beer i guess that could be a write off :D

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was, Uncle Sam would owe me money!!:D :D

8. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If you were buying and drinking it yourself No! If you buy it through the business and share it with others then Yes, it would be considered an "entertainment" expense.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

When you get audited, you better print this thread out for your defense!

10. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Bob I really don't know about that, I was just guessing. I was kinda basing it off of a situation that if you took a client out to lunch at a resturant and you had a beer with your lunch the lunch is a write off then the beer is part of the lunch and that would be considered an entertainment expense, isn't it. I'm not an accountant that's what he get's paid for. But now I am curious cause he told me if I ever go to lunch with the client to keep the receipt. I will ask next time I talk to him.